Tuesday, August 11, 2009

R&R

NO, the title is not in reference to the common use of this two letter acronym (although I wish it was, I'm in dire need of a little "Rest and Relaxation" myself), but instead it refers to a new world I've entered-- that of "Rules and Regulations." Now that I've been eating, breathing, working and sleeping the National Park Service for the past three years, I've noticed a few things about the organization (and myself) recently. But for this to make sense, I need to preface what I'm about to say with a little bit of background info: I don't like stupid rules. They really really bug me. I've never liked being told that I can't do something. My parents could attest to this. In Kindergarden I refused to draw a nose on my portait because I didn't like them, despite being sent to principles office. Why? Because I didn't like noses and didn't care what the artistic authority had to say. I'll spare you the details of my teenage years, but will share that when I suggested to my mom that I might serve a mission her response was, "Well honey, do you really think you could follow all the rules?"

Since joining forces with the NPS, I find myself cringing daily. Buzzwords like "compliance" "incident" "offender" "mitigate" come up in daily conversation. Rangers really ENJOY telling people what to do. "Don't walk across the tundra" "Don't pick that flower" "You can't park here." But I'm not here to point fingers at anyone but myself. That's the thing-- scariest part of this new world I live in is that I AM THE ONE enforcing the rules! I see a little boy attempting to feed a chipmunk. Inner conflict begins. I remember my first trip to the tetons when I was 8 years old. I fed chipmunks with my grandpa at the waterfall. Do I remember anything else? No. But I remember I fed chipmunks and it was the coolest thing ever. Has the chipmunk population in Grand Teton Nat'l park died because ignorant visitors fed them for generations and now they don't know how to find food on their own? No, I don't think so. There is a healthy and thriving population of chipmunks. Suddenly my lips part and I hear myself say, "Did you know you can't feed the chipmunks? If you do, they'll become dependent on human food." Oh no! I did it! The boy quickly puts away his handful of peanuts and says sorry. I keep walking wondering what has happened to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not turbo-ranger by any means. I let the occasional thing slide here and there. But I have realized that the cruelest irony of adulthood is becoming the very things we despised in our youth. In my case, the enforcer of stupid rules.

10 comments:

sNick said...

I love this post, for a million reasons.

Logan said...

Great post! Here's why I could never be a ranger. I'd let EVERYTHING slide. I'll never forget when I was 6 years old, my family went camping on Orcas Island (in the San Juans), and it poured and poured on us. We stayed up late playing games in the tent because our parents couldn't hear us over the rain. Then, at 11:00pm, we saw a flashlight on our tent, then a booming voice - "you can't camp right here!" Old Ranger Rick made us move our tents in the middle of the night, in the rain! My parents were obviously annoyed, and we were confused, but it's a classic memory we always share and will never forget the image of that old ranger with his hat standing in the downpour telling us to move our tents. I'm glad you won't ever be a Ranger Rick.

kp said...

This summer I was one of the adults that got on a little kid at the pool about splashing. I debated for awhile, but did it anyway. I'd like to think I was justified--he was making other kids cry--but I didn't want to have to be the one who did it!

Jerry said...

Wow, Angela, you're meaner than I ever thought possible What a kill-joy in uniform! I'm kidding, of course. But I did find humor in the irony that you are indeed now the enforcer of rules. Not me (the one that loved to tell everyone what to do growing up), but you! At least the kid you talked to listen. The kid that I try to tell rules to just looks up at me with big brown eyes, laughs, and runs away. Your hatred for stupid rules will serve you well as a parent, though - you'll kids will be the most free, creative kids around.

Clay Allred said...

I feel that way too. i hate it when rangers just want to write tickets. Its all about education and letting people play.

William Cobb said...

I couldn't agree more - about the chipmunks. I would make a "bad" police officer for this very reason. Just teach correct principles and let people judge for themselves!

Lori said...

OOPS- We've fed at least a dozen of those little varmints in Rocky Mountain...good times...good memories! Just in case you were wondering...they love chocolate chips! Great Post!

Maryjo45 said...

I remember when my dad used to take my sister & I when we were very young to Sequoia in Calif to camp out in a tent for 2 weeks every summer. It was so much fun. Among fondest memories when I was 8 yrs. old...I was sitting early in the morning on the long seat of the picnic table & was watching for squirrels. One gray squirrel came closer & closer, and he ventured to climb up my leg & sat on my knee, until I blinked ! He ran so fast I could not see him. We were allowed to pick the moss off the trees & dad taught us how to hold our hands to feed the deer that came around at dusk some times. All food was put in the car trunk so the wandering Grizzly bears at night would not bother it. We slept soundly at night with our dad in the tent...climbed on huge trees in the day, saw the sun set each night on "Sunset Rock"...I'm glad a Ranger did not spoil our fun & feel sad for children of today when that happens.

Maryjo45 said...

This reminds me of when my sister & I were children. Our dad used to take us every summer for 2 weeks to the Sequoia Campgrounds in Ca. where the 2000 year old mammoth trees still stand. One time when I was about 8 yrs old, sitting early in the morning on the picnic bench, a gray squirrel climbed up my leg & sat on my knee observing me! I tried not to blink, but when I did, he ran away so fast. We were allowed to feed the deer when they would come around at dusk, the moss off the trees that was too high for them to reach. We kept our food in the trunk of the car so the Grizzly bears would not get it. Those are such fond memories. Marilyn (Will & Jo's mother)

Maryjo45 said...

Just erase the 2nd comment.I thought my first comment was deleted so I made another. Marilyn C.