Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Feeling American . . .

Nothing like spending time in one of America's most historic cities to leave you feeling patriotic-- corn fields, waving flags, historic sites, apple picking, Amish country and family fun. I spent about five days in Philadelphia (although my trip was over a week with driving and time w/ Deaner in P-town. . .the other P-town). Catherine and I even found ourselves singing "I'm proud to be an American" while grocery shopping (for Mexican food ironically). Here are a few photos:

The first day we went to Independence-- the most historic 1/4 mile in all of the US. Both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were written and signed here. We saw the liberty bell, Congress Hall and the quill that was used to sign the document.



Cath and I pledging allegiance to our country in Indy hall.

I must admit that all of my current knowledge came from the stellar Disney flick, National Treasure" and it's hero Nicholas Cage (oh dear). Yes, we rented it following our downtown tour.

Another highlight was getting to meet my adorable nephew Spencer and niece Allyson. They are SOOOOO cute and so much fun. Emily is five years older than me and has been the heart and spunk of our family for as long as I can remember. She's tiny, but packs a punch (and makes the best cinnamon roles ever), has a lot of energy (but always denies it) and is so much fun!





Catherine also came up to meet us in Philly. Catherine loves fun (as do I) and we can be equally as intense. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Cath is hilarious, gracious and an incredibly happy person. She doesn't like to miss out on anything and lives life to the fullest. It was so sweet to get to see both of them!



At the arboretum.



Apple pickin'!

Allyson discovering the bad apple in the bunch.



Amish country, Lancaster, PA

The old barn was full of birds including two peacocks! It was on a dairy farm where we ate the best ice cream EVER-- maple walnut. It was run by an Amish family.

Ally and I sitting on the hay. How cute (and posed).



Cath, Ally and I spent time playing the corn fields while em fed Spencer. The perfect chance for cheesy photos.

I had a great time! If there was one thing I could change, it would be to have Brian come with me. For those of you who don't know, B and I moved back to Moab about three weeks ago. I love being here. It felt like coming home. I love this place. Seriously. And it is so nice to have friends in the area! Alvin and Laura came down last week and so we all got together (with Clay and Leslie too). Big thanks to Clay and Les for the awesome meals and teaching me how to boulder. It was SO fun!



Ignore my buck teeth and the next photo is pretty cool:



3 comments:

William Cobb said...

horray for bouldering pics at the end! (and the wooden apple box ones). And horray for Moab!

Sarah said...

Okay, your buck teeth comment made me snort out loud in the Heritage Computer Lab--thanks! Grreat pics, though. :)

Catherine said...

Did you alter the pics?...how??? They look extra cool.