Saturday, August 16, 2008

We're still here. . .

Man I love this place. I haven't been toting my camera around anymore. I guess I'm feeling like less of a tourist now and more of a resident. I still am amazed as we drive around here. It feels like home. The beautiful sunsets, the pink and orange cliffs, the warm summer sun and the endless fun.

We took a road trip to Colorado Springs a little while ago to see my sister Sarah and brother James. They have four amazingly cute boys. It will most likely be our last road trip until October when we go to Zion for Pete's wedding. . .although going to get groceries feels like a road trip after the hour and a half drive!!

We climbed Casteton tower again the other monday. It was GREAT! I was totally feelin' it. We did a different route this time and it felt easy to me. We camped at the base with nothing but a sheet and started by 6am. We were off by noon (we took one of our co-workers and he nearly fainted after the first pitch). We also biked Gemini Bridges (14 miles) down and then hitch-hiked home, ran the river (I got knocked out of the boat and we didn't have a self-bailer and after the hole we hit it was full to the brim), and climbed at Mill Creek up in the La Sals (super-secret local spot I suppose), went to our ward potluck (and started a water fight), played ultimate frisbee and had sushi night with a bunch of our friends up here.

When we got home Monday night (it was like 9:30), Brian and I got put on a team to go search for a missing hiker on one of the trails up here. We ended up finding him late at night lying on the trail dehydrated. He had even drank his own urine . ..but it was incredible how quickly he revived after three liters of water. We finally got to bed at 2am, but I've worked early every day this week and still haven't fully recovered.

We're thinking Alaksa this winter but still debating if we're brave enough to live in a cabin at the base of a glacier in the freezing arctic air! Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

That is one crazy day!I think Alaska would be awesome-- maybe a little dark, but way exciting.
-Sarah H.

Jerry said...

I'm glad you are liking it out there so much - and finally feeling like it is home. Sounds like you guys sure know how to enjoy your weekends together. And congrats on finding that lost hiker. I bet her was SO relieved to see you! You do a lot of good!
-Emily

Rachael said...

Wow what a great weekend! I am so happy that you guys are enjoying it so much out there. And by the way, I did leave a message on your cell the day we found out which was 2 days before we posted the news on our blog. We are thinking about you guys all the time! Love ya!

William Cobb said...

um... Alaska in the SUMMER sounds nice! But in the winter? I'd only justify it by saying 1. bragging rights: not everybody can say they did that, and 2. the challenge of finding fun things to do in constant darkness and freezing cold weather (like becoming a vampire or something).

btw, glad you found that guy on the trail. woot for the rangers!!!

Heather said...

I've always wanted to live in Alaska during the winter. I say go for it if you guys have the chance! What part?