Wednesday, October 29, 2008

into the great wide open. . .

You know you've got a good job when you look forward to your work week. Lately, Brian and I have been running errands on our weekends and playing at work. Playing is what the NPS calls Roving. Basically, I get to go in the backcountry and talk to people. The first three pictures are from my rove last week. It was the first time I've ever done a self supported bike trip around the white rim and it was hard, but awesome! I towed that trailer you see in the picture and camped along the way. Actually, I missed Brian terribly bad by the second night b/c he had been gone the entire week before on a backpacking patrol in the Needles, so I couldn't stand being away from him any longer and I hiked out (only to find out upon my return that he was fighting a fire in Moab! Oh the luck!). He finally did get home that night at about 9:45pm all smelling like smoke and looking just adorable. He dropped me off before sunrise the next morning and I hiked back down and finished biking the 100 miles! It was a great three days at work.



These are from another rove-- We hiked into Monument Basin. . .a spectacular hike that almost NO ONE ever does.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Wowzers, that looks like such a pretty rove. I still can't believe you get paid to play like that. Did you do the entire 100 miles??

Sarah Gerhart said...

Gorgeous! How fun is that? Did you see anyone on the trail? Did you take a picture of the mountain lion? If so, post it. I'd like to see it.

Sarah said...

Mountain lion!?!?
--Sarah H.