Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Shreddin like Shroder*



Brian and I got back from an awesome time in the Tetons last Friday night. We LOVE the Tetons. I lived on the Idaho side for about a year and he spent a summer on the Wyoming side working for the park service. . . that place is magic.

We stayed with Brian's friend from the Tetons, Ryan Lynch in Driggs for a few days, then headed over to Jackson to stay with Alex and Michelle from Rocky for a few days, then stayed in a yurt for one night and then on to Grandma's in Idaho Falls! Out of the 8 days we were there, we skiied 7 of them (my burning thighs finally got a rest on Sunday) in deep powder-- it snowed 5 feet while we were there. In the words of the Bro-bra ski bums of Jackson, "shreddin' the pow-pow was super gnar" (translation: sking the powder was awesome).


After hiking up Glory peak-- the summit of the Grand is sticking up behind me. We hiked up and skiied this twice and it was incredible.

Below is Alex skinning up. To get up the mountain you put skins on the bottom of your skis (like carpet) so that you can move up the snow. We climbed a LOT of verticle. Sheesh.



Brian almost to the top of 25 short (named for being 25' short of 10,000)

I spy something brown; the moose we passed while on our way up:



You can spot Bry in a puff of powder making some sick turns:



Me making a tele-turn



Brian and Alex in front of Buck Mountain (btw this photo doesn't really do Alex justice).



Looking through the skylight in the yurt we stayed in (thank goodness it was only one night. . . it was cold and too big to heat up)!


Last run of the trip



*Shroder Baker is a professional skier. We all watched videos of Shroder shreddin' it so we could dream of being that good.

9 comments:

Jerry said...

FUN times! Looks like you guys maximized the vacation time. P.S. Is Alex really wearing a short-sleeved shirt amidst all that snow? Woah! And Brian was moving so fast in that one picture of him in a puff of snow that I couldn't even see him...

Kristina said...

hey guys! i stalked your blog from clay and leslie's. looks like you've been having plenty of fun. i was actually at rocky mountain in august, just for a day, but i'd heard that you were working there and contemplated trying to get in touch with you... i guess i'll have to catch you in some other location! are you guys living in moab again now?? i'll probably be down there again this summer. take care, kristina (leslie's friend/old roomie)

sNick said...

I love all the slang in this post. Haha, you're killing me. I try to use as much slang as possible just to make my posts ridiculously epic.

Leslie said...

sweet trip! I'm glad the snow was so good! For just getting new skiis you already look like pros on them!

The Gerharts said...

Beautiful! Looks like so much fun! I'm guessing you like your new skis? I agree -- the Tetons are absolutely gorgeous and magical. Glad you had a great time!

Lindsey said...

Holy-week-o'-fun. You are totally going to be some ofthose 50 years old old people who still are super active.

I love the moose!!

Can we go skiing next weekend? I really want to try!

Catherine said...

Woah! That is some seriously beautiful skii country. Makes me wish I had some skiis so I could go out and enjoy the snow here! Your yurt looks super cool and that moose is awesome. Ah, looks like such a fun trip!

Tamara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamara said...

Aren't the Tetons awesome? I've been blogging about our time there this week, too. Funny! Anyway, glad you were able to go back and enjoy a pristine winter experience there. Oh, and the yert stay sounded interesting. Would you ever consider living in one...if it was feasible to keep it warm?