Thursday, May 27, 2010

Invincible Winter


In the midst of summer (okay spring. . .) I found there lived (in spite of me) an invicible winter. I have been ITCHing to get up in the peaks since we first got here, so Brian agreed to try and climb the Middle Teton with me on Monday (despite two very early alpine starts and having skied the Lower Saddle of the Grand a few days before-- what a hottie). Van (a paramedic Ranger) and Sven joined us. It snowed 5 inches by 4:00am when we got up Monday, but it was still an epic trip. The above photo is Van while on the ascent.


Brian and the multi-colored gear.



Due to unsafe avalanche conditions on the Middle, we attempted the South instead-- got almost to the summit but had to stop just short for the same reason. This is us before heading down.


Excited Sven.


Nez Perce with the Middle Teton in the distance.



I don't think summer exists here. I've given up and given in.

6 comments:

Chris Andrew said...

That looks like so much fun! Our butts are still sore from the White Rim... can't believe Brian rode it in one day! :P You guys are amazing.

Sarah said...

I love how you re-wrote the quote at the beginning ;)

Gary said...

So, you almost made it to the top of the south teton in winter? - Is that Mount Moran? That's a huge mountain! I'm glad you can somehow tell when avalanche conditions prevail and that you follow the guidelines! (This sounds so much like what a parent would say!)

Jerry said...

Wow, I bet that was amazing! And I'm with you on being surprised you could do a winter climb at the end of May! Someday summer (or spring) will come your way. Someday... In the meantime, it looks like you can maximize the winter :) Can't wait to hit that neck of the woods this month at our reunion! Fun!!

Mickey said...

I can tell where that next-to-last photo is, and that's a lot of snow! Or maybe it just looks like a lot because it's fresh. Nice work.

Kellen said...

Is Brian wearing those sweet leather Smith sunglasses? Classy guy, I must say.