Sunday, April 22, 2012

In defense of the family blog

Little Van Gogh . Very creative using her skin as a canvas. 
Is our blog turning into one of those pictures-of-our-kids-only blogs that I used to avoid? I have to admit that at one point I thought that those were somewhat boring (unless I was related or basically related) and couldn't figure out why they never posted pictures of themselves or what they were doing anymore. Well, I have since realized a few things: 1) photos of my kid are fascinating to me and only taking 400 a month is a restraint. 2) It's cool to watch this little one change before my eyes. 3) I don't enjoy narcissistic photos of myself nearly as much as I used to. Don't get me wrong-- I definitely still enjoy them, but just not as much. 4) Liesel is more in demand. Just ask the grandma's and aunts out there. 5) she's the biggest part of our life right now and will be for sometime. Makes sense that she's the star of the blog now too!

And for the Liesel record: She will repeat almost anything back and she can usually get the number of syllables right, but her consonants are somewhere in the back of her throat like she's speaking German. We have these bowls at home that have a stamp of a moose at the bottom and as she approaches the end of her oatmeal in the morning she starts trying to dig for the "ma!" (being interpreted is "moose"). Milk is also ma and so is banana. And so am I.  One of my favorite little antics is how she says, "mmmmmm!" after everything she eats. Very complimentary of my cooking. Generally speaking, if she's not tired she's a real sweetie.  

Brian has still been down at the Needles during the week (this past week was a tri-district tour of Canyonlands via alpaca-raft-- a raft that can pack up and fit in your backpack. More than a little jealous here). I'm pretty sure if Brian actually took photos and blogged, the scale of baby/family vs adventure would be a little more even. Alas, he doesn't-- maybe he should resurrect "the Rope Log"?


Mom and I wear really dorky hats. But sun-protection is the new cool, or so she says.  

5 comments:

The Gerharts said...

Those hats totally are the new cool! What a beautiful canyon! Love to see Liesel having fun with chalk and water and sand. So cute that she can talk so well now!

Becky said...

so where are you and how long will you be around down south? I really want to come and visit before I move!

Jerry said...

Would you believe that I've been looking for a hat like that? Seriously. But apparently I have a big head because they all fit too small. And Liesel is adorable. As always.

gc.hatch said...

That's the first time I've seen Liesel holding a writing implement and drawing something. I have chalk like that for the grandchildren to draw with. Can't wait see her do it on our back patio!

sNick said...

Your family blog is not boring, rest assured. You're not the average family. You do fun stuff, and Liesel just happens to be there for it all.