Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dolphin Safe

I know that my DNA contributed to Liesel's eye color, hair, hands etc-- but I am really really curious if it had anything to do with her personality as well. You see, when I was a kid I was OBSESSED with animals. I made an oath to myself that I would get a dog at 18 as soon as I moved out of the house (didn't go so well with my college plans however). I cried hysterically when I found out we were eating dolphin for dinner (until my dad showed me a picture and I realized it wasn't a mammal, but a really ugly fish).  In 2nd grade I saved my money so I could sponsor a Siberian Tiger. I even "bought" 1 square inch of the rainforest for $5 from off a Cherrios box(although who knows how legit that was). I remember at one point bragging to my friends that I had 17 animals (although I counted my two hamsters and their 12 babies individually) and trying to sneak out a 2nd kitten under my shirt to take home.  

I've noticed that Liesel is following this animal path. I know, I know, all kids know their animals and sounds and point them out when they see them-- but she laughs when they're in the room and cries when they leave. She follows the chickens around their pen, points and jumps when she sees a dog and (as seen above) points them out on every pillow, sign and Cottenelle toilet paper roll. And I'm finding it REALLY hard to control myself-- how did my parents do it? I begged for years for a dog and Liesel can't even talk yet and I'm having to sit on my hands to keep from driving to the feed store to buy her a chicken. 


Maybe I'll get to live my childhood dream of a farm after all . . . 

9 comments:

Emily said...

What a sweet post, Ang :) I don't think I ever realized growing up just HOW much you loved animals. It's sweet to little L following in her mama's paw prints :)

gc.hatch said...

That is such a cute picture of you Ang!! Where did you get it?

gc.hatch said...

That is such a cute picture of you Ang!! Where did you get it?

Allison said...

She's incredibly trusting of animals too--big and small (except for that ostrich at Thanksgiving.)

Sarah said...

AND she laughs and smiles when husky puppies bite her hand--she is definitely a hard-core animal lover ;)

The Gerharts said...

What an adorable picture of you, Angela! I have never seen that one before. It is priceless! Didn't you have your room plastered in animal pictures from National Geographic at one point? I remember it was the most colorful room I had ever seen. Fun post!

Logan said...

I wouldn't be surprised if Patagonia took interest in some of your family photos like that last one. Maybe that'll help bring your animal farm utopia dream into reality. Wouldn't hurt a try. Ever consider contributing to iStockphoto?

Lindsey said...

This is totally the Angela I remember growing up with. It was a hard life, having to share a room with you AND a Siberian tiger (poster) that you were sponsering. Haha. I remember thinking how funny it was how much you LOVED animals and wanted a dog.

It's so funny that L is into it so early on!!

Sarah said...

No but seriously. Become Patagonia models.