Saturday, February 2, 2013

Colorado River (& Confluence) overlook






I was glad we had the Chariot to contain the kids. While I felt a little guilty at not letting Liesel explore the overlook, I kept having flashbacks of my mom at Arches (or anywhere with massive drops) with her hand over her mouth and on repeat: "kids! Get back from the edge!" And like much of Canyonlands, there were no rails. Only one broken wooden sign warning parents that their children could very easily fall to their death. It makes it feel much more adventurous. I love canyon country. And I'm not talking about 97.1 . . . although that is the only station we get. 






This week for Brian's weekend (that is actually mid-week) we headed out to the Confluence Overlook where the Green and Colorado Rivers join. But we ended up giving up about 1.5m before the overlook. The wind picked up, the kids were tired and we had already eaten our lunch. Translation: lets go home.

I love hiking with B. We talk a lot. And I don't know about the rest of you, but January always seems so full of decisions so there's always a lot on our minds. Nothing better than the rhythm of the trail to get you in the right direction.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

You have the coolest backyard and I'm totally jealous. Totally.

gc.hatch said...

That was funny to read about you having a "mom flashback saying 'Keep away from the edge'"! I'm glad to see that kicks in when its really needed (which in reality is not nearly as often as I thought it was back in those days.)

Kristina said...

LOVE that hike. absolutely one of my faves. Glad you guys get out so much in your 'hood!