Wednesday, February 20, 2013

rock climbing at Enchanted Rocks State Park {girls day out}

me on becky's crack 5.9-- wide and sharp. The guy who led this after we climbed (we top roped, but that was super tricky . . . and a long story) kept whipping. 
Hello the big 3-0. To celebrate my birthday Sarah and I snuck away all Saturday for some climbing/hiking at Enchanted Rocks- a granite monolith in the Texas hill country. I love climbing as a all-women team. We did more climbs that I was anticipating (we had Hannah with us) but the weather and the baby held out, so we cranked until we could crank no more. 
Sarah on Twin Crack (5.10a)

I can't think of a better way to spend my birthday -- or enter a new decade-- than being outside with people I love. I do wish I could have spent it with B at my side also, but thank goodness for Skype. 




Sarah was great. And being a mom of 5, she understood the urgency. Get on there and go! Who knows when the sleeping dragon will wake! :) 
Arrh! Where me wooden leg go?! 
you know you're a hard core climber when your chest strap sports a binky and hand sanitizer. Hott with two t's. But isn't Hannah's peeping face the cutest? She was so great. Sleeping in the pack and then hanging out on the leaves. Although the other climbers seemed genuinely weirded out by the nursing. 

afterward we went through fredricksburg and ate at the Peach Tree cafe where I had the smallest  sandwich. There must have been elves in the kitchen. Luckily the next day (my true b-day) we got to gorge on this baby: 

4 comments:

Leslie said...

What a perfect birthday for you! I can't think of a better way! Can we have a girls climbing day out? (In our dreams right?) Your trip looks amazing! You deserved it! So glad you're home safely.

gc.hatch said...

I can't believe you girls are so physically strong that you can do that! And that cake looked DELISH!

The Gerharts said...

SO fun! What a great girls day out -- loved every minute of it. And Hannah was such a great sport!

Kevin said...

These are really nice photos Angela! You can make some pretty good money photographing families. We actually need to get our family done soon. Are you able to get your business going?