Thursday, February 21, 2013

a 30th birthday.

When Lindsey came down last October, we talked about making a really fancy decadent chocolate cake. The kind where you melt the chocolate, sift the flour and everything takes several steps. Well, it never happened and months later I still couldn't drop the idea. I decided on this recipe which also has coconut milk and a chocolate coconut buttercream frosting. I don't love frosting, so I just wanted it in between the layers and not all over the cake. It scored big in my book. Sarah was so sweet to decorate the house for me! And she had made homemade berry muffins and a smoothie.

We couldn't find the candles that I bought, but luckily Jake ran upstairs and pulled a few out from under his bed (?! That's where I keep all my valuables hidden I suppose). Let's just hope there's no lighter there too. . .


After church we went to play under the live oaks and take photos. I got a little obsessed with these trees while I was in Texas. They remind me of how you draw trees as a kid-- no leaves or branches down low, just at the top of each branch. They're gnarled and beautiful. 


This way to the enchanted forest! Don't these two little princesses look like they're about to step into a fairytale?
My bro making me a birthday smoothie-- it was sooo good. And he made real whip cream on top. What a great bro-in-law. 

The night before Sarah and I went to see the 5 Browns in concert (after climbing-- did I mention that my bro-in-law is amazing? He watched all the kids all day long. wow). It felt enriching to hear the classical music played on 5 grand pianos together. And the Mozart piece at the beginning totally brought me back to my NC home. I must have heard my brother play it 1000x.



it's always a little bittersweet leaving behind a decade that will never be again, but thirty seems to be shaping up just fine.


3 comments:

gc.hatch said...

What a great 30th birthday! Couldn't have been better! Thank you James for treating Angela so well and giving her time to spend with Sarah!

The Gerharts said...

I love these! I had so much fun on your birthday, Angela. What a delicious cake and fun concert!

Emily said...

Wow - 30 turning doesn't look half bad when you celebrate like that! Props to James and Sarah for making it a super special day. You deserved it, Ang!