Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sister backpack! My getaway! I can't get out of the Needles!

**flashback post. I forgot to post it before!**

In May, I got the golden ticket in my Willy Wonka chocolate bar; Brian gave me a coupon for a *getaway* once Hannah was weaned. I pretty much thought of every possible scenario for this weekend. It stretched from Belize, to backpacking the Grand Canyon, to Zion and then back home to the Needles. I figured if I only had one day, I shouldn't spend any more than 5 minutes driving. After Brian got off work Friday evening, Lindsey and I were out the door-- gallon jug in hand-- ready to hit up Chesler Park. YES! 
Sisters. Besties. Pals. Welcome to Fat Camp. 
Despite our time crunch (we wanted to get to camp before it was dark and didn't hit the trail until 4:30pm)-- we had plenty of time for photos. Lots of them. Including yoga poses. 
The last time I camped in Chesler Park was 10 years ago on Spring Summit. Where I met Mary Hall. So how fitting was it that we got to camp together?! It was kinda magic to show up and have these faces there to greet us. And I love Mary Hall. Who doesn't love Mary? I don't know a soul. Lindsey and I fired up our stove and cooked up some stellar soup in a bag. Then some more. Then Lindsey wanted Mac & Chee, so we busted that out too. And some chocolate and obviously an apple. Clearly we misunderstood the meaning of "fat camp."
 highlight: climbing beneath the spires at night in the full moon and talking until 11pm (gasp!)-- totally carefree listening to a baby cry that wasn't mine. 
I can't sleep in. I was up at 7am and after running around on the rocks, taking pictures and trying to pretend like I wasn't trying to wake Lindsey up-- I finally succeeded. 
We ran around some more. 
Hey Lindsey-- look through this hole. It's going to be awesome! 
Now get one of me. Okay, not nearly as cool. 
Quick visit to the cowboy camp. The charcoal drawings and names had 1924 next to them. Almost 100 years old. 
Of course by now I was freaking out. It was like 8:30 and we weren't running yet. Deaner-- I have approximately 8hrs left of freedom and I need to see 75% of the park! If there is one thing Lindsey does not like about traveling with me in the backcountry, it is being rushed everywhere we go. It's true. I openly admit that I am just like Brian in that regard. As a matter of fact, every backcountry trip begins in exactly the same way. I have my backpack on and I'm pacing the trail frequently looking at my watch while she is still getting her jacket on. Then she says: Angela, I am NOT going to be rushed everywhere we go this time. 
so naturally we run.
 To the joint:
Then to Druid Arch.
Then back to our packs.
Then we packed out through areas of the park I have never seen. And we talked and talked and talked-- about the teaching techniques she's learned and how it translates to parenting, about dating, then about dating more. We reminisced, laughed about the past and took way too many pictures.
 We ate lunch with a killer view, and then hiked home. Best 24hr break in the world. 

When I arrived, I expected to find Brian cooking us dinner and asking us how our trip went. 

I walked in and found Kendra-- our friend from the Tetons-- watching the girls. She told me that Brian had gone climbing with Van since 9am. Sort of incredible that the one day Brian was locked into watching the girls all year he managed to find a babysitter in the middle of absolutely nowhere who volunteered to actually watch both of our children so he could go climbing all. day. long. 
Amazing. 

We pulled off a blitz birthday party for Hannah, a massive dinner for our family + 7 Burton's (Mary & Brad's family) and Liesel got plenty of Auntie L time. She may have won her over for life after presenting her with her very own makeup set which she didn't let out of her sight for three days. 


5 comments:

The Gerharts said...

So fun! You did totally pack it in. Wish I could have been there!

gc.hatch said...

Sister time!! How fun! And the scenery is spectacular! I can't believe how much you all packed into one day....and how funny that Brian was hiking the whole time you were gone....where did he find the babysitter?

Allison said...

You should make this a tradition--post some outing from a warm time of year in the dead of January. You tranported me. How many miles was that? From the little I know about the area, that was a lot of hiking!

sNick said...

I think you invited me to this, and I think it was the week I was in Germnay (I've been delaying posting about that week, too), and I have to say, reading this made me doubt my decision. :) Let's do something. Soon.

Lindsey said...

This was soooooooo fun and I am totes missing this!!!!!!