Thursday, November 7, 2013

Active.



 I love to play outside. 
Nothing gets the endorphins flowing (or do they fire?) like an outdoor adventure. A few weeks ago I had the chance to spend a few days in town with access to friends, babysitters and really amazing fall weather. I HAD to get out. I called up a few friends and after a lot of hoping/planning/organizing we were ready to leave. I estimated 3hrs and we had just that much daylight left. We did a short, fun "slot" canyon in Arches above park avenue. None of us brought a camera, and maybe that was better-- but man the sites were phenomenal. None of us had done it before, which added to the excitement; will we find the next rappel before dark? Is that the right butte and do we go left or right? But we did, and it was great.

And that brings me to Liesel. Is it possible to *force* your child to like what you like? I feel worried. She doesn't ask to play outside-- like, ever. Once she's there, she likes it. But honestly, she would be content eating candy, chips and junk and watching TV all day long. She doesn't like to ride her tricycle. She'd rather sit than walk in the stroller. Other kids run-- she walks. She just isn't that interested in being active. And it kills me! And Hannah is terrified of heights. I want my family to be active. I want them to love the outdoors. I want to climb with Liesel and Hannah at Indian Creek and scramble up Teewinot. I want to raft rivers and take turns rowing. I want to swap who sets up the anchor canyoneering and have biking the white rim be a family tradition. 

Am I doomed to a life of Barbie Musketeers and dum-dums? I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I also know that I was outside 24/7 as a three year old. And that I was building forts and digging in the dirt. 

Please tell me she'll grow out of it. And that one day lead 5.11. 
K, thanks. 


5 comments:

Jerry said...

No worries, Ang. You weren't really outside 24/7 as a three year old. You spent your fair share of time watching "Full House" and "Family Matters" just like the rest of us. She'll grow into it (she really has no choice, I'd say), but she'll grow to love it for the memories it creates for her childhood. Just relax and enjoy the "activity" as it comes. That's my opinion, at least (coming from the...gasp...least active of the Hatch family).

sNick said...

Anytime we had any treats in my house growing up, they were gone as soon as they were pulled out. My cousins always had junk food EVERYWHERE, and they were never that interested in eating it. Maybe Liesel loves being outside, but she doesn't beg for it because she already gets it a lot. I can't imagine her having the kind of exposure to the outdoors that you're giving her and her not feeling right at home there. She is a Hays, after all :)

Allison said...

I love the progression of the photos from adult to preschooler to toddler. In answer to your commentary: as my nurse midwife told me when my baby was two weeks late: "this is your first lesson you have as a parent: your child is her own person." Having said that, I bet she leads 5.11 someday.

Unknown said...

Haha! Honestly that's years away for me, but I'm legitimately concerned about that too! I think it would be a lot of fun having all girls, but then I worry that they'll all be wimps. But with parents like you guys, I wouldn't stress it too much :)

Catherine said...

Ang, your kids are under 3 years old... I bet if you had them eat candy and watch movies all day, they'd beg you to go outside.