Tuesday, December 10, 2013

snow falling on sandstone.


Tired of winter-scapes yet? Because I cannot get enough. Last week there were so many knock-my-socks off moments that had me clamoring for my camera and running up the rocks to catch a better view. Sunrises while jogging that blew me away. Sunsets in the late afternoon that were so insane I felt guilty I was the only one outside for miles who was witnessing it. 
She loves to eat snow. As a one-year-old and now at three, she loves eating snow. We go on icicle hunts and she'll lick those till she pees her pants. Seriously.
I've got a system. We go sledding or skiing every day. It has been in the 20s, but once the sun is high up it actually feels ok. I bundle the kids up and they more or less hang out in this thing. I tried a DVD today, but Hannah still cried. It really does feel amazing to glide over the snow like that. And it really does glide. It almost feels weightless pulling this behind me, which is the exact opposite of jogging where pushing the stroller feels like death. 
Kids in the morning. Something I think I will miss when they get older. The hair all over the place, the head that barely clears the top of the bed, the little voices that get right down to business and the excitement at starting a new day. It is so precious.
 This morning we heard Hannah start to cry and Liesel said, "Don't worry Hannah, I'll be right back." Then a thump thump thump and her little eyes staring right at us, "It's morning time! The sky is light, so that means it's morning. We can get up now."
Hannah eating oatmeal and demonstrating proper hand jam technique as well as the best way to hold your spoon. 
This weekend Liesel and I had a girls night. Turns out, she really didn't like it being just her and mommy-- she wanted the whole family there. She seemed kind of freaked out. We got to the theater and they showed Thor as the preview to Frozen (?!?!?!!!) I had to take her in the hall until it was over. But after that, it was both eyes on that screen until the movie was over. She was into it. 
The next day was the light parade and Sam's one-year b-day party/Navajo taco night. Stellar evening. I always love the Moab light parade. Who can resist a glowing delicate arch, ranger hat (see above) and NPS arrowhead?? Not me. It was snowing this year and colder than last by about 40 degrees, but it was still great! 

So many fun things about this time of year. 

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

What a darling post. As mom would say. Miss you guys and sad I couldn't join in hte fun with you all. What gorgeousss views of the snow out there!!! LOVE IT. My fav part of your post was the part about where Liesel was creeped out you wanted a girls night.hahahaha. Made me laugh out loud. MISS YA

gc.hatch said...

The desert winter scape is so Breath-taking!! I would LOVE to see the sunrise/sunsets! You are very creative in getting out for exercise and fresh air with the girls--I LOVE your ski set-up with the girls! How ingenious! Even though Hannah cries, I bet she likes it better than staying in the house all day.
I'm glad to hear you got to take Liesel to Frozen. Martha Isgett told me today that she took her grandchildren to it and they loved it! I try not to be jealous that she has grandchildren in Raleigh....