Sunday, April 24, 2016

Newsies: Moab Broadway Review



Video: Liesel speaks first, Hannah is second and their friend Bri (a daughter of another mom in the group) is third. I had to shrink the recording down in order to upload it, but you get the general idea. This is the only night I have recorded, but it happened to be the night where my ponytail holder breaks at the beginning and I'm trying to do my hair. I'm in the middle with the rope belt and suspenders.

Moab has done a community Broadway Review night for the past 3 years as a fundraiser for the arts programs in the high school. I've wanted to join in the group but I've either been nursing or with a newborn (last year) so I couldn't participate. This year, despite the fact that Brian was going to be gone (the week of the performance there were 5 nights of dress rehearsal or performance in a row), I decided to go for it anyway. I was glad I did. All of us have kids so we met and practiced at the church to practice while the kids ran around.

Liesel expressed an interest in being in the performance and so we decided to add that little part at the beginning for them. I think it was the perfect segue into a life of performing arts as she now acts out dramatic solos for me to watch that are absolutely hilarious and totally full of 5-year-old emotion. Both kids were singing "Carrying the Banner" all the time. One time I found Hannah on the toilet saying, "When did you become me mudda?" Liesel seriously thrived in the limelight and got to wear makeup for the first time (scroll down below for a photo). She spent a lot of time admiring her reflection and took her job very seriously.

Hannah only did one night and while she enjoyed it, she seemed to enjoy flirting with 6-year-old Max in the band room as he chased her around and kept picking her up. Even the teenagers were joking about taking notes from giggling flirty Hannah.

It was stressful and I came home every night but one to work on more photography editing until late, but I was still very glad I did it. Sometimes life as a mom feels so monotonous or similar day after day. It felt good to do something for me that is so completely different from my norm. I've missed the arts and it was great to be a part of it.

So many of the numbers were entertaining in the show that Liesel walks around singing them all the time. Especially "Food Glorious Food" and "Agony" (a duet that Clay did that was hilarious).










Liesel admiring her beautiful makeup. :)






1 comment:

Catherine said...

Ah, I loved this!! L and H are so adorable at the beginning (and L looks so tall!! And so happy with her makeup on). :) Ang, you did amazing! I didn't k i.e. you had so many lines and your coreography was spot on...esp the hip thrust near the end :) seriously loved this! It brought back so many fun memories!