Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Miracle

So yesterday I was cleaning out my old boxes when I came across a pile of brightly colored paper. Rupies, Rubles, Riyals and Pesos. I need to preface this by saying that Brian and I have been in slightly-obsessive throw-away mode. We are getting the biggest kick out of minimizing; tossing old papers, taking boxes to DI and eating everything in the house (yesterday we successfully finished off the olive oil, wwflour and oats). Victory. So when I came across the pile of foreign currency, I picked it up to throw it in the trash when suddenly I got an idea. I phoned Wells Fargo to see if they accepted Mexican, Saudi Arabian and Indian currency. The answer was "yes" (they do not however, accept 1961 currency from the former USSR). I headed down expecting to make $4 towards Christmas gifts, so when she told me that the grand total was $192 I was floored. I wanted to grab the money and run in case she changed her mind. Then 10 minutes later she checked the exchange rate for pesos again and it had gone up giving me a grand total of $202. Talk about Feliz Navidad.

4 comments:

Mary Grace said...

holy crap angela. that IS a christmas miracle!!!! HOORAY!!!
i want to send you apost card, so if you will give me your address, i will do that. email or whatever. you know.

Leslie said...

that's amazing. god bless us everyone! good luck packing up. we're going to miss you guys!

SVEN said...

WOW! That is like..... ten times as cool as finding a $20 stashed in a pair of pants you havent worn for 2 months! Literally!

William Cobb said...

holy crap! i wonder what the Chinese money i have from 11 years ago is worth now. And to think you almost threw it away!