Saturday, December 15, 2007

Reading Day


Jens at work.



cold? scared? tired? hungry?



Looking down the gully from the top of pitch two. We're 400 feet up here.



Jens leading the last pitch .



This is the Great White Icicle as seen from the parking lot.


So this is what Reading Days are really for (or at least they have been for me all 8 semesters at BYU). Jens and I climbed over 1,000 feet of ice today. We left Provo at 5:15 this morning, climbed Great White Icicle - 4 pitches - then climbed the first pitch of Stairway to Heaven - 300 ft. Awesome, the only thing it was missing was my responsible wife who actually studied on reading days. I missed her, but we're going to go next week.

5 comments:

Mary Grace said...

lucky mc luckerson.
i wish i ice climbed with you chaps. nice work tho :)

Jerry said...

That's incredible, Brian! Those pictures alone are scary. I can't imagine the real thing. This is probably a silly questions, but do you use an ice pick to climb? I couldn't tell from the pictures (it looked like that is what Jens had in a picture), but I can't imagine that you could climb ice with anything else.
Emily

Pete said...

Oh I did that one the other day. It wasn't that big of a deal, though, that's why I didn't put it on my blog.

Brian Hays said...

Hi Emily - yup,you climb with ice tools - one in each hand and crampons on your feet. The tools are crazy sharp picks that you can swing into the ice.

Anonymous said...

Brian, I love hearing Ang referred to as your "wife"! It just sounds right. Looking forward to seeing you two when you come out to NC for the holidays!
Rach