Sunday, April 10, 2011

How To: Cloth Diaper



When I was first pregnant with Liesel, I decided that I wanted to cloth diaper. Every time I went to the Internet to Google what to do and what is best, I was totally overwhelmed with the options and opinions of everyone on the web; cloth diapering is like a whole new language (do YOU know what a fuzzibun is? A tri-fold? A pocket diaper?) So the first while I was just disciphering the diaper code. After I while, I finally settled on the BumGenius and Fuzzibun diapers. I won't go into detail with what they are, but basically the white towel looking things in the picture go into the bright colored water-proof ones. And this is why they're great:

1. It's cheaper. While it cost me $200 initially to get started, I'll easily save that much since diapers are a whopping $20 a week!
2. It's cuter. Hey, why not admit it?
3. They're more natural. I like the idea of fleece (I know it's made from plastic which = not natural) and cloth as opposed to gel beads and whatever disposables are made of.
4. It's eco-groovy. While it uses water, it really isn't a ton and they are mostly air-dried.
5. Knowing me, it adverts the crisis. I'm sure I would end up diaper-less in the middle of the night or something. . . and when in Jackson we'll be 30 minutes from a grocery store.
6. Less blow-out and diaper rash. I've had some serious cases of blow out with disposables, but not really with cloth. . . and over all I think they're better with diaper rash.
7. Last but not least, I'm pretty sure from the look on L's face that she loves having fuzzibuns too.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I'm actually considering cloth, so this was great. My only issue is that I'm pretty sure the look on L's face comes from being the cutest little girl on the planet (sorry babe, not so sure it's the diaper). I would be curious to know, though, what the difference is between fuzzibun and bum genius. I'll call you about it, though. Love you!

Allison said...

Yep, cloth diapers rock. Brian's Grandma Graham always said babies are more cuddly in cloth diapers. Now I'm wondering if there is any subliminal connection between your horsegirl post and the cloth diaper post, but I can't think of any. Can you?

Alyssa said...

I have thought about this idea...although actually having to use them is still far of because I'm not even prego haha. My questions is when you are a church and you change a poopy diaper...do you just carry it around with you the rest of the day until you are home? or rinse it out there on the spot? Last question...not to get graphic but how do you wash them? by hand? in the sink? tub? washer? I think it's just those little unknown fact that makes me a little uneasy, but it's still a great idea! The whole poopy diaper thing just doesn't sound exciting haha When the time comes ang I am sure I will want to call you and hear all the how-to's! :)

ek said...

we love cloth diapering! woohoo!

and in answer to alyssa's what-to-do-with-poo... you get a "wet bag" and put the diaper in there - it's waterproof and smell proof, and then take care of it when you get home. you CAN flush the poo while at your destination, and (did you know?) you're supposed to do that with poop in disposables too? you're not supposed to throw it in the trash can! who knew.

Mickey said...

It's so great that you've found a system that works. Plastic diapers are a horror, although that's easy for someone without kids to say. Rock on with your cloth diapers!