Friday, July 22, 2011

Four Generations

L to R: Grandma Gayle Collette Hatch (my mom), Emmy Collette (my grandma), me (Angela Hatch Hays), Liesel Collette Hays

I love my grandma's home. The hanging bobcat baring it's teeth in the basement, the dirt cellar that always has treats and smells like potatoes, my grandpa's office full of pewter steins, old photographs, WWII memorabilia, a 4ft high bug collection and nick-knacks from all over the world. I love the Austrian room with the intricate coo-coo clock, the feather beds and old dolls with real hair and frightening stares and beautiful paintings. This house holds so many memories for me-- being there makes me feel like Grandpa will pop around the corner wearing a plaid shirt and his scorpion bolo-tie, smelling like brute aftershave and scratching my cheek with his whiskers while he tells me I'm "such a beautiful girl." Then I'd be embarrassed and he'd laugh and his belt would bounce up and down, which would make me laugh and then my grandma would probably say "Glen, sit down" in her perfect English that has the beautiful undertones of a native German speaker. And we'd probably play Rook and drink milk.

I hope Leisee gets a chance to know it and love it the way I do.

3 comments:

emily marie said...

I love this! Your grandma's house seems terrifyingly wonderful. I love grandparents! You all look so sweet and pretty!

Fern said...

Grandma houses are the best.

Dan~Alyssa said...

that is a perfectly said depiction of grandma's house! it sends the visuals flashing through my mind and even provokes memories of my own! What a great picture!