Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The runner-up still gets the duds.

A few weeks ago I entered a contest that I saw on the Backpacker magazine website for updating your gear (3 categories: food, go lighter, dress better). The idea was to convince them that you were on the one that needed it in 100 words or less and send in your photo. If they pick you, you get the "gear makeover" and your mug in the Reader's Choice issue of Backpacker magazine (dec/jan).

Well, I didn't win. But I did get runner-up in the dress better category. She emailed me today and said a Patagonia Nano Puff, new Mammut soft-shell pants and La Sportiva boots are coming my way. I'm starting to think I should have put more into my photo since it will be in a national magazine and I pretty much asked B to take it right after I woke up and before he went to work.

6 comments:

sNick said...

Wha?!! That is awesome! Hey, I just remembered that I send you a little package about a month ago, so if you haven't gotten it yet, check with the office. I sent it to the park.

Leslie said...

that's amazing. what a killer prize! way to go for it!

River Nomads said...

No way man - that pic is probably what sealed the deal for them! Way to work the system.

Mickey said...

Whoa! That's killer!

The Gerharts said...

Way to go, A! Need to see pics of the goods and the essay and photo that convinced them you were the new face of Backpacking Mag!

Erin Barr said...

ha! i guess that's one way to prove you need a makeover! ;-) i saw that nano puff in one of Lindsey's facebook pics. Nice color! Mine is grey, but i also have the pullover and i love it!! it would be nice to have pockets, but you absolutely can't beat it for the weight and packability. i noticed you holding the bottom down while you were pointing. i have that same problem! that bottom seam just doesn't want to stay down. too light! i guess there are far worse things. you're gonna want to live in it. good thing it's easy to wash and dries super fast! too bad i don't need it here where it never gets below 73 and usually hovers steadily around 89... waterproof pants and lightweight hiking shoes would be GREAT though. way to go!!!!