Thursday, March 29, 2012

food and exercise

On Tuesday, Leslie and I went up to the Island in the Sky to hike the Murphy trail (photos below). Then there was cleaning. Then grocery shopping. Then there was book club. Then I packed for Indian Creek (no photos) and spent way too long making bagel sandwiches.  

The trail switchbacks down the slope kind of miraculously and ends up on the plateau behind me. 


Lunch Rock. 

Liesel holding a piece of historic litter. For real. If it's been in the park for 50+ years, it's illegal to carry it out. 

The grueling hike up. It's bark was worse than it's bite-- like all things after they're over and your heart rate is back to normal. 

The next morning I threw all our stuff (all our overnight stuff too) into the car and met up with Brian and Alex and Michelle at Indian Creek (but not before snagging my free egg mcmuffin at Mc D's). We climbed at the Way Rambo wall this time and it worked me. My forearms and lats are sore still. We only did three climbs, but it took all day. After everyone was sore and satisfied (minus Brian who was only getting started) we met up at Brian's apartment in the Needles for chili, quesadillas and rice krispy treats. Why am I mentioning what I ate? You go climb at Indian Creek all day and I bet you'll tell me what you had for dinner. We watched the sun set on the needles through the window and Brian won at Carcassone.  An excellent day. Nothing makes me happier than good food and a ton of activity.

5 comments:

The Gerharts said...

Whoa, beautiful red cliffs! I love it! LOL about the "historic litter." L looks so cute with you in her hiking gear!

sNick said...

Food and activity...yummmmmmm.

I went skiing all day to day and topped the day off with a shake and fries.

One of the best things about hiking for days on end in the Alps is that it justifies A LOT of cheese eating.

Allison said...

That hike looks fun. Cute shirt on L.

Catherine said...

Girl, no shame in detailing exactly what you ate! :) Looks like an awesome day! I can't believe you can still tote L on your back like that, you buff woman!! Love you!

Mickey said...

Hey, that's the trail Brian and I used to get up from the White Rim when his wheel blew out! Cool!