Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mt. Peale Cirque, La Sal Mountains

The only way to get her to wear a hat is to cover her hands. 
our busy bodies at full speed-- bright and early. 
Our tents at the base of Mt. Peale. 
Grandma Hays holding Hannah in the sunrise// who knew the La Sals had more than just talus? I loved the cliffs!
One of the most amazing things about Moab is that it comes with two ways to escape the wicked summer heat (which I think has nothing on NC and their humidity): the River (& creeks) and the La Sal Mountains. 12,000ft peaks 40 mins from town? Wow. I felt like we were back at the Tetons all dressed in down and beanies and picking wildflowers. We camped in the Pt. Peale cirque. Brian had seen it while hiking the ridge line of the range a few weeks prior and knew he wanted to camp there. It was an incredible spot. And what an added bonus that Brian's mom, Grandma Hays, was here visiting? Liesel has been asking about her ever since. 
Liesel, let's not kiss worms ok? 




 Allison was so awesome to watch Liesel for an hour while Brian and I zipped up to the base of the cirque. It was so beautiful, so alpine and above treeline. I love being up high and this only made me crave more. 


Date! Yes! Hannah slept the whole time and I only carried our water. And Brian is so hunky. Saw lots of pica, an elk and a marmot. 
 We drove the rest of the loop over Geyser Pass, stopped at Dark Canyon lake, picnicked somewhere in the forest and listened to an endless commentary from Liesel in the backseat. Are we on a bumpy road? Are we hurting the flowers? I want my window up! I want my window down! I want my feet out the window like mommy. Mommy, put your feet down. Oh we get to eat lunch? I love crackers! Is dat grandma behind us?Oh, it's so beautiful! I see the clouds. . . 



3 comments:

Jerry said...

The best part of this post is the end: Love the picture of you and B and love L's chatter. I can totally hear her little voice saying all that. I miss you guys!

gc.hatch said...

What a beautiful place to make a memory with Grandma Hays!! Looks like it was a positive experience for everybody! I can't believe you had to wear hats and gloves in AUGUST!

Allison said...

It felt so good to be cold! And what a wonderful family to be around. I sure do miss those girls. Thanks for these memories Angela!