Sunday, August 25, 2013

an education.



I feel really good lately. I don't know if I totally recharged in NC or if it's the weather, but I feel very content these days. I've been feeling really grateful for the Needles. Aside from the benefits and security of this job during the sequester, I feel grateful for the time it has given me with my family. No engagements at night, no commute to work and quiet nights. 

I have learned so much about being a mom here. I've learned to slow down and spend more time in quality interaction with my kids. I've learned that not being on-the-go is okay. Actually, more than okay. Often, it's the best thing. It has helped me be more resourceful with activities that stimulate them. I've learned that the best stimulation and what they want the most is time with me and/or Brian. 

 I've learned that a lot of junk in life doesn't matter and that I can still make meals with next to nothing (or at least when the fridge appears empty)-- and that I only need to plan a few meals a week and fill in the rest week with simpler meals. I've also learned that I can fudge a lot of recipes, leave out ingredients or sub new ones and it turns out fine. 

And that less is more when it comes to a lot of things. 

But that buying some things makes all the difference. Like a few pieces of nice furniture and pictures hung on the walls. It makes a home feel like home. And that's important. Especially if you're there all day long. 

I've learned that I like running. But I like it even more on a trail. 

I've started to see that my little children won't be little for very long. And as I've talked to other moms, you'll long for this time later. When their problems are easy to fix, their forgiveness quick and they actually want to spend all their time with you. I feel like I'm cherishing it a little more. 

These are things most moms learn naturally. But I think with my personality (I don't like missing out and I like to be on the go) it took moving somewhere like here to teach me to slow down and take it in. 

Although, check in with me during the winter when the road isn't plowed, I'm desperate for adult company during the day and I'm tired of beans and rice. I might be singing another tune. :)

3 comments:

gc.hatch said...

What a sweet post! Thank you Angela for sharing your thoughts. That's a great family picture by the way!!

Allison said...

"Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." --Walt Whitman

The Gerharts said...

I love this post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! The family picture at the top is super cute, too. You're right -- kids grow way too fast and I cherish the time of life you are in right now, with just little ones at home!