Saturday, July 26, 2014

Spring Summit Reunion (has it been 10 years since college)?!

Biking the White Rim- went down Shafer switchback to Musselman arch and back up again; The photo from R: Jenny, Sven, Me, Jo and Mary. B-rad was taking the picture and driving the support rig for 1/2 the time.
Gooseneck overlook. I have been standing like that since I was three. 
Our group!
Jo and I at the Goosenecks
Everyone jumping on Musselman arch
Canyoneering U-turn canyon in Arches Nat'l Park
We went in the evening and it was stunning in the setting sun. I love the waxy look of the Entrada sandstone. It feels like I'm on another planet. 
Biking Slickrock bike trail. 
We left the guys in the dust. . . two flat tires and too much photo taking. ;) 

In high school, I always knew I wanted to be an outdoors woman. I would occasionally go into the Trail Shop on UNC campus and look at the gear and packs. I envied my friend Rachel who went on Outward Bound. I loved traveling out west and climbing in the Tetons and Wasatch range. When I went to BYU-Idaho, my mom took me to REI and outfitted me with outdoor gear for my first semester of school-- I had signed up for my classes at a Ranch at the base of the Tetons and would be spending time rafting, climbing, camping and biking. It felt like Christmas morning. And I LOVED teton valley. I loved being outside. I felt like myself and I felt at home. 

A few years later (10 years ago) I signed up for a program at BYU-Idaho called Spring Summit. A six week course in southern Utah right around Moab. We canyoneered in the Swell, biked the White Rim, rafted Cataract Canyon, backpacked the Needles, biked Porcupine Rim and Slickrock, had a solo on Cathedral Butte, learned desert survival in the swell and climbed the La Sals. It sort of laid the groundwork for my work with the Park Service working as a park guide at the Island in the Sky and later a river ranger. It seemed like just a way to have fun at that time, but I really think I was blessed to go and gain a skill set I would use in my career and family. 

But even better than that, I made a group of friends that I'll have for the rest of my life. I love these guys- -their happy-go-lucky attitude is contagious. I decided last year to host our 10 year reunion and I'm so glad I did. It felt good to get sweaty, to get outside and to have conversations without toddler interruptions. There was a lot of laughter and a lot of fun. 

2 comments:

Catherine said...

This looks like such a fun reunion! I still can't believe you guys mountain biked that whole thing! I'm glad you didn't 'bonk' :)

gc.hatch said...

How special that you all have remained friends and in contact with each other all these years! Jo, hasn't changed a bit! Give her a hearty hello and hug from us the next time you contact her!
Also, amazing that you all can still ride your bikes that far and in such a difficult terrain...after all you ARE 10 years older!