Wednesday, April 30, 2008

One Up-ed











This past weekend (or I guess our weekend is Monday) Bry and I thought we'd take on the Kor-Ingles (sp?) route up Castleton tower. It is a four pitch climb up a free standing tower in Castle Valley. It was a beautiful day and our climb was fantastic! We were feeling pretty awesome when we got to the top. . . it was a pretty "stout" climb (gotta use the climber lingo here) with a pitch of off-width 5'9 on slippery calcite. On the summit we were met by some really cool and friendly folk (Steph and Mario) gearing up to base jump the 400+ feet down from the top. Not only that, but Steph had just led every pitch of the 5'11 route. We followed them to the edge of the cliff and watched them as they prepared. Sometimes I really don't mind being one up-ed and this was one of them. Our 5'9 climb and rapel decent seemed like child's play compared to that. I have to admit that I felt much better once I found out her last name was Davis* (wink).

*Steph Davis (along with Beth Rodden) is the most famous female rock climber. She lives in Moab with her climber husband Dean Potter. That is her base jumping.

9 comments:

The Gerharts said...

Absolutely impressive! You threw me (and mom who was looking at the pictures from over my shoulder and gasping) for a loop. I thought that was you parachuting off the top and freaked out! What an amazing climb.

Sarah G

Logan said...

Angela,

Way to go keeping up with Brian! You're amazing.

Sarah said...

What awesome pictures. Yeah- I was a little confused about the base-jumper photo too! It's sooo pretty there. You guys are gonna have a great summer!

Sarah H

Sarah said...

Noooooo! Angela, your stretchy pants are getting holes in the knee!

Sarah H

Angela said...

those are actually Brian's stretchy pants! It looks like my knee, but it's actually his.

Catherine said...

I'd say the fact that you crossed paths with the most famous female rock climber automatically makes you pretty high up there (no pun intended...haha). Wow! That looks like quite the climb & an awesome view!! I'm envious of your charmbed life out in the beauty of nature. ps: I miss you!
pss: Ang, do you favor the L side of your face? :)

Clay Allred said...

Steph Davis!!! WOW. I'm so jealous. Wait until I tell Willis. She's his hero! For real. Once again I wish Leslie and I were with you.

William Cobb said...

I looked into base jumping once but it seemed so far-fetched b/c you have to "know somebody" to do it - but it's been a crazy dream of mine for years that i never expect to do... but i was sooo stoked to read this blog and see that picture of steph jumping and you were right there!!! who cares about being one-uped!

Pete said...

Just another day in the life of the Park Ranger. Nice job you two! I can't believe Steph Davis wasn't like, "Wow, it's Brian and Angela Hays!"