Thursday, July 22, 2010

What insane looks like.

It looks like getting called on a heli-rescue an hour before church
Followed by a second "rescue" the next day-- hiking up to the Middle Teton until 2am and having to remove a young persons body.
Sleeping three hours, getting helicoptered back down the next morning.
Getting a call 30 minutes later that 17 people were struck by lightning on the Grand Teton and need to be evacuated. All have suffered burns; one strike melted a hole in an ice axe.
Then working to get them off until 10pm inbetween thunderstorms.
Then waking up to try and find the one that is still missing this morning.
Finding the body after a 1000ft fall.

Brian has been working like a madman. . . and I have been watching it all happen and re-thinking my plans to climb the Grand next Mon/Tues (who does that pregnant anyway)?

11 comments:

sNick said...

Pshhh.... don't even talk like that. You're totally going to climb it. Pregnant and all.

Lindsey said...

No Ang. Don't climb it. Hang out with me and be safe...for the baby's sake. :)

PS. Crazy weekend! Brian must be wired! Or dead tired! Can't wait to hear about it, hottie!

The Gerharts said...

Please stay off the Grand!

-- By your uber-conservative sis

The Gerharts said...

BTW, while looking at the news online today, I saw over 500 news articles about the Grand rescue today and was thinking about what a cool BIL and sis I have =)

Logan said...

WOW. Great experiences. Did you run out of adrenaline?

sNick said...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/22/wyoming.climbers.rescued/index.html?hpt=T2

sNick said...

When I said you should climb the Grand, my eyes had some how skimmed over the part in your post that said that they found a body that had taken a 1000 ft fall. What ever you do, be careful!

Mickey said...

I've been following the story from afar after seeing a blurb about it in the Atlanta paper yesterday. I can only imagine how crazy it's been. Take care, both of you!

(And, for the record, I'm with sNick: You're a careful climber and you'll be fine. Watch the weather.)

Chris Andrew said...

Wow, sounds rough. For some strange reason that's one of the draws to SAR for me. Crazy!

Laura Anderson said...

Yikes.

Randy Row said...

wow, ang! I had heard about that, but I didn't think you would be the ones rounding up the bodies! yikes!