Saturday, December 4, 2010

Hebrew and the Alps


Did you know the name Liesel is Hebrew in origin? I know, I know, you've all seen The Sound of Music, which is set in Austria, and the oldest daughter is named Liesel. Isn't Liesel an Austrian name you say. It is, but the name Liesel didn't originally come from Austria. It came from the Holy Land.


The name Elisabeth is a Hebrew name, i.e. Elisabeth the mother of John the Baptist. Liesel is a Germanic form of the Hebrew name Elisabeth.


We named her Liesel for a few reasons. One, because Angela's family has roots in Austria, so it fits with her ancestry (Her Grandma grew up there). Also, as a sidenote my mom speaks fluent German and studied abroad in Austria for a year. Two, because Elisabeth is a family name in my family (Grandma and others). Three, because we like biblical, old-school names. Four, because it is unique but classic.

To make it simple: The Bible + the Alps = Liesel Hays.

6 comments:

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alvin said...

Great explaination adds depth to the name...and I like a name with meaning and a good story. Glad to see things are going well

Heather said...

Hooraaaaay! Congrats Hays! I love the name too. :) She is one lucky little girl.

Pete said...

Lovely. Does she have a middle name as well? -Jacqueline

Lindsey said...

Oh look at her cute little face! So adorable. Ang, she totally looks like you did when you were a baby (cause I was there and all, right?) Her big eyes! Oh gosh I can't wait to see her!!!!

Mickey said...

Can't fault that logic. I love the name and I love your reasons even more.