Monday, August 15, 2011

The Iconic American West

Where the buffalo and the cowboy roam. 

And the elk sit outside the chapel. 

And the sky is BIG. 

This weekend Brian took Saturday off and we headed up to Gardiner, Montana (North Yellowstone) for John Hender's wedding. It was a little Grand Canyon High School reunion and it was one of the funnest weekends I've had all year! We saw a wolf on the drive up through Yellowstone and we arrived right in time for their wedding in the little rock chapel. 

Between the wedding and the reception we checked into our room-- a small apartment for guests of NPS employees. It was built in 1912 and the antique door intercom still worked (they don't make things like they used to). It was an adorably quaint little room. We then drove the few minutes and hiked to the confluence of the Boiling (above) and Gardiner River. 


This spot was so awesome. Cascading scalding water +freezing snow melt = best natural hot springs ever. 

After the hot springs we gussied up and drove the hour north to John's reception. 

Brian, John and Pete-- GCHS alumni-- all working in the parks. B was the MC for the reception and he did a dang good job. 


This reception was just what a Montana reception should be: bride in cowboy boots, big red barn, hay bales, BBQ pork and cole slaw, country swing and a whole lot a dancin'. Brian and I have only danced a handful of times (mostly at weddings). . . so after Liesel made her star appearance (for real, she was like a celebrity), I found a spare shower room out back, set up the pack and play and put her down. B and I danced the majority of the next three hours. We were swing dancin', two-steppin', gettin' low-low-low and slow dancing. Man I love dancing. A little too much. I literally woke up competely sore the next morning (like as sore as I was after the Grand). I guess I got a little too Jiggy-wit-it. This was the best date we've had in like a year. And would you believe L slept through the whole thing? Miracle.

The next morning we drove back through Yellowstone with Pete. Loved it. 

Brian defending our lunch (aka, chucking sticks) from the ravens. 

Thank-you boiling mud volcanoes, crashing waterfalls, deep canyons, angry Bison, too many cherries, nursing sessions, overlooks, flat hats, rangers and Western Family Lemon cookies.  And thank-you Yellowstone. 

8 comments:

Jerry said...

Loved this post, Ang! You sound so happy - and your dancing date sounds wonderful! I guess Brian is a man of man skills - if he can MC and dance the night away at the same time. And props to little L for sleeping through it all. Glad you had a GREAT time! All three of you deserve that kind of a weekend every weekend! P.S. Totally trivial, but super cute swimsuit!

Klingler said...

Wow! Looks like you are living the dream! Congrats on the summit of the Grand via exum. Awesome job. It's on my bucket list when we get out there this September. I totally knew what you were talking about when you mentioned running ahead to check on your little lady. Ken and I have done that so many time. You rock! Keep on Keeping on!

Allison said...

Loved the setup of the first photo to the second. What a fabulous picture of baby L. on the same lawn as a kneeling elk! Dancing the night away sounded fun too. A repeat of you two at Pete's wedding. Good to see the GC boys as well as you girls looking wonderful.

Chris Andrew said...

So cool. I'm going to miss the awesome outdoor updates from you guys! I'm going into the MTC on Wednesday. If you'd like, I'm posting to a new address: chrisinsacramento.blogspot.com. Hope to hear from you guys!

Fern said...

I LOVE every single one of these pictures! They're gorgeous. What kind of camera do you have these days? I bet it's one of those schmancy ones isn't it?
Also, reading this post made me nostalgic for our dance parties of days-gone-by. I miss dancing.

Lindsey said...

Why did I ever leave you guys again? (oh wait, it was the spider on my face=good reason)

Although...I must say this looks like BOMB-FUN! Extra jealous right now.

Also, where did you get that swimsuit? I love it.

I MISS YOU

The Gerharts said...

FUN! I love the pictures and the wedding reminded me of yours a little! Glad you got to visit with friends and that L cooperated so well for the dance!

emily marie said...

I often wear giant flowers on my head and hang out with elk. This sounds like THEE bombest weekend ever. Wanna trade lives? I'd be ok with that! You can keep B & L and I'll keep my man, we'll just trade locations. Deal?