Thursday, August 18, 2011

Why I don't have a Costco membership.

Exhibit A (1 puffed ball with powdered fake cheese is gross. 300? Grosser).

(Today I'll introduce you to my part time job: Moose Corner Daycare where I work about 12hrs a week). 

I've never been a fan of things in bulk. I had nightmares after watching the Indiana Jones where he falls into the train car filled with snakes. Touring factories has a haunted house feel to me. This is in part due to my days in food service (ala Applebees and the university cafeteria); hand me ten black olive and it looks like a delicious snack-- but hand me a #10 can of black olives and I want to barf. Ranch dressing? A tablespoon perhaps but I'll pass on the 7 gallon bucket (every time I hear the word "Hidden Valley" I picture myself as an awkward 19-year-old dropping ramekins of the creamy white slop and having it splatter 4ft up my leg-- more amo for the sorority girls). 

Even cute things (ala kittens) in bulk have a creepy quality. Exhibit B here is the perfect example:  
Exhibit B (side note: this photo was called "box-o-kittens". . . uhhhh?)

This brings me to my last point. I love my baby. I LOVE my baby. I love kids. But 5 babies and 10 kids (under 4) and suddenly my things-in-bulk-phobia rears its ugly head. 20 green colored snot ropes oozing from noses? No thanks. 10 poopy diapers filled with sand? Um, please let me wash my hands 600 times. 5 different bags+bottles of breast milk to keep straight? Help. 36 cream filled cupcakes with neon frosting in ears, up noses, on hands, pants shirts etc? Wow. 

Don't get me wrong. There are things I do love about working part time at the Daycare. How all girls are obsessed with games involving them as orphans and all boys will stare out the fence at the diggers. I love the funny things they say and I'm amazed when they come to me with a bloody busted lip and I say "you're alright" that they actually believe me. I love that they get so excited about stories, bananas and me pretending I'm a gas station for their bikes. I love them attacking Liesel with kisses and "gentle please" love-ies. And I especially love that today was only 4 hrs instead of the 34 like last week. 

5 comments:

Jana said...

Are you ready for Hatches in bulk?

ps. Thanks for your comments on my blog. I always want comments but never give any (I am an incessant blog-checker). I'm working on it... :)

Emily said...

For the record, I have a Costco membership and have never purchased orange non-food puffs before! You know how I feel about babysitting anyone other than people I love. I'm with you. Bulk is tough. Glad you got 4 hours instead of 34 :) and hopefully you bought some super cook clothes with your 34 hours :)

Clay Allred said...

when we were in CA we saw a guy walking up and down the beach eating those exact cheese puffs straight out of the monstrous container. We laughed at him all day. When we were back at camp, we noticed, on the table at the campsite next to us, the cheese puffs. it really was him.

Allison said...

I've worked my share of undesirable jobs, and my least favorite of them all was preschool daycare. You actually seem to have maintained a soft spot for the pack of little people. Commendable.

The Gerharts said...

Jana, I love your comment! Angela, what a well written post. Do you have pictures from the day care? It's probably illegal to post them, but just wondering what it looks like!