Monday, September 12, 2011

me, my sisters and the Atlantic

Emily (33), Sarah (38), Catherine (30), Lindsey (25) and Me (28)

I'm 70% a mountain-western states-open spaces-girl, but I still need to satisfy that 30% beach-salty-ocean-sand-waves-sunshine side at least every few years. And I have to say that my most favorite place to vacation is the beaches of NC. The water is warm enough to swim in, the sand dunes are beautiful, the houses quaint and the horizon is skyscraper-free.  I mean, even the expert (sarcasm noted) novelist Nicholas Sparks uses the NC beaches in all of his novels. A few years ago my sisters and I (minus Em) had such an awesome time backpacking for a sisters only weekend (I do love my bros Ryan and Kevin-- but sometimes we ladies can be exclusive) that we decided to repeat it on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. 

The surf was incredibly powerful-- if you didn't fight it, you'd be a 1/4 mile down the beach in 2 minutes-- and the waves would pummel you. But I almost like that better. Hurricane Irene didn't do much inland (we live 2.5 hours west of the coast), but I think the sea was still feelin' it. 

Liesel LOVED the ocean. She loved the sand, she loved the salty water, she loved the waves and she loved all of it in her mouth. 

Me and Em trying to get Liesel to sleep in her tent. It proved completely ineffective. 


All NC hotdogs must have chili and coleslaw. It's a condiment like ketchup-- even at the gas stations. 


I feel like I should offer a tribute to my mom who stayed home with 2 toddlers and an infant for the entire day so we could all go together. I'm already looking forward to 2013 when I'll be back for the Hatch reunion at Ocean Isle. 

3 comments:

emily marie said...

So fun!!! You guys are beautiful! I miss you all!

Allison said...

I love Hatch sister pictures. The first one of ya'll sitting against an eggshell blue house is my favorite. Liesel looks very inquisitive--and lovable as always.

Lindsey said...

:) I miss you guys! love the shout-out