Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Capitol Reef

Between eastern and western Utah there is an expanse of the most amazing territory on earth. Seriously. On Monday we decided to take a family fall trip to Capitol Reef. Ever since we drove by this sleepy little national park on our honeymoon, I've been desperate to go back-- and in less than three hours of driving through the desert and itty-bitty towns, we arrived to perfect weather, few people and one of those days that just keeps getting awesomer (oh, that's not a word?). It was like a smaller Zion; huge red cliffs, cottonwoods galore and lots of grassy green lawns to sprawl out on. Plus orchards of peaches, apricots, cherries, pears and apples (although only the apples were in season by now). Capitiol Reef did not disappoint. We had such a good time. 

We started out the day with a 5 mile hike through Sulfur creek. 

Almost the whole hike is in ankle deep water and was really kid friendly. There were a few very inviting waterfalls and potholes, but it was a little too cold for jumping in. 



Apricot orchards. LDS pioneers settled in this valley next to the Freemont river planting dozens of beautiful little orchards. Since they're historic, the park now maintains them and allows visitors to gorge on fruit for free and pick and take home whatever they want for $1 a pound. Not too bad for organic. 

Liesel's first taste of berry pie at the Gifford Homestead. 



We spent a few hours in the orchard picking and eating apples. I think we ate a dozen between the two of us-- tried all of the varieties and analyzed which ones were best. They had ladders, fruit pickers and bags to load up on and we were the only ones in the whole place. 


I want to live in Torrey, UT. Between Boulder mtn and Capitol Reef the town is loaded with beautiful pioneer homes and is also home of the 5th best burger in Utah (according to the 2010 SLC burger guide). They were SO good. And so were the sweet potato fries.

I wanted to check out this pioneer school house and as I was exploring the rocks nearby (there's quite a few Freemont petraglyphs), I found my maiden name carved into the rock: Hatch, 1911. Liking this place must be in my blood. 

9 comments:

Jerry said...

Dang, I LOVE your posts, Angela! This one is so happy, so colorful, so alive, and so full of everything that is good in life - family time, incredible scenery, serenity, adorable baby hands, red rocks, green orchards, organic food... Glad you got to enjoy the day with your sweet family! Looks like it was an incredible day!

Dan~Alyssa said...

wow I wish I was as good with words and pictures! I too have been to capitol reef but did not manage to capture the beauty and as jerry said "everything that is good in life'. Looks like a blast and I love your adventures! keep them coming! ps. you are good motivation for me to catch up and keep up on my blog! thanks because I know I am writing our history! :)

emily marie said...

Never has a man looked more intimidating whilst holding an apple.

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness. I want to be there! It's been dark and cold and drizzly in Provo the last two days, so all this color and fun and food sounds heavenly!

Lindsey said...

I can't believe I have never been to Capital Reef. It must be one of the best kept secrets of Utah, because no one talks about it. I love the pictures from the apple orchard! I am trying to think of other adjectives to use to describe yours posts/pics because I always "SO CUTE!" in every comment but REALLY there is no other word to describe y'all (oh look, I'm all North Carolinian now). Just don't tell Brian. It would perpetuate the Hatch girl stereotype, eek. Love you Ang.

Lindsey said...

PS did you dye your hair?? It looks so much lighter. !

Mary Grace said...

not gonna lie, i am pretty sad i missed this trip. and your pictures and words are pretty good. i miss your little fam.

The Gerharts said...

This post belongs in a magazine! LOVE the pictures, feel of fall that permeates the blog. Fun!

Mickey said...

I drove through Capital Reef on one of my solo road trips back in day. I liked it enough that I applied for several jobs there over the years. No bites.