Sunday, November 20, 2011

Dear Island, I miss you.

Sometimes after I've been in Moab a little too long, I start to feel slightly claustrophobic. Living in a valley you kinda forget that the sun actually sets-- instead of just disappearing behind the red cliffs that constantly hover. I start craving a horizon and a long open road. And after living up at the Island for two years, I grew accustomed to dodging cows, going any speed I pleased (since I never saw a cop) and naming various buttes and rocks that marked my path. 

This week B had a climbing patrol up Washer Woman Arch (with along with Druid wins the prize for my favorite) with another ranger and I thought I might be able to catch a glimpse of him on the summit from Mesa Arch. Leslie and I stopped to scope out a petroglyph panel and get poison ivy and then headed up to my old stomping grounds. Is it possible to forget how beautiful a place is after living there for two years? As cheesy as it sounds, this place is special to me. And it's a cryin' shame that so many local moabites have never seen it. 

Liesel and I at the arch-- Brian was on the climbing the tower in the distance. 


Have I mentioned how lucky I am to have Leslie who will go on great baby-friendly adventures? I'm under no illusion that friends like that are easy to come by. 

Check out Monument Basin. Can you see the kissing rocks in the basin? I feel like I could spend a lifetime exploring this place. B and I once hiked down into that basin-- I felt like a tiny speck in a sea of hardened mud. It was other-worldly and completely amazing. 

This weekend we went to Hovenweep ("deserted valley") to see a bunch of ruins built by the ancients with Brian's Arches co-workers. It was impressive but the highlight was seeing the tarantula and having conversations with kids who innocently share the skeletons in the family closet. And eating at a really terrible restaurant in Blanding. But in a town called Bland-ing, what can you expect?

And I'm adorable. with love, Liesel

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I think you would die if you had to live in DC if living in Moab leaves you missing broad scapes. I'm glad you go to go back to your old stomping grounds, though! I love that you and Leslie take the babies on such beautiful adventures! AND, that tarantula is downright creepy!

Lindsey said...

THAT tarantula is what I had on my face in WYOMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and ps. cute post!