Saturday, November 5, 2011

Wilderness of Rock

A few days ago I got the itch to go on a long bike ride. It had been a while and the weather was perfect so I loaded everything up and biked out on Kane Creek to Funnel Arch (aka Cables arch). I had remembered going there with Brian the first year we were here and I remembered the view of Behind the Rocks was incredible. The second time around was just as good. Maybe it's because my interp program at ISKY was all about John Wesley Powell, but I hear his voice echoing "towers of rock, cliffs of rock, 10,000 strangely carved forms. . . rocks everywhere" every time I explore around here. Kinda creepy.



Speaking of Explorers, Lil' L thought she would map out the entire city park yesterday. Her personality is growing more and more every day and she has B and I laughing constantly. She's happy, curious, studious, hilarious, courageous and cautious, doesn't mind mess, loves anything she can sift through her fingers and goes CRAZY for dogs-- I mean jumping in my arms, laughing hysterically, crying when they leave and making this funny "eh-eh-eh" every time she sees them. 



And in true John Wesley Powell fashion, we paddled drove up the Colorado and landed ourselves at Big Bend yet again. This has become a weekly ritual to head out to the boulders and get a little pump. We met our friend Kerri and made the most before Daylight Savings Time robs us of our evening sunlight. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Is Liesel wearing carhartts?

The Gerharts said...

Liesel is such the explorer! What a fun age. I love the rock pictures -- gorgeous scenery!

sNick said...

I don't know why, but I was thinking about Liesel today and thinking, Man, she's a fun kid. Can't wait till I get to come down again, and hopefully host you guys up here!

Mickey said...

What a place.

Catherine said...

I love that L's playground is the wilderness! What a lucky kiddo! I esp like her tights in that first one. You could win an award for hippest baby for sure.

Mary Grace said...

i LOVE that L has carhartts :) i am so jealous of her. i dont even have any.