Friday, May 25, 2012

Charleston, S.C. (day two)

My mom and dad agreed to watch Liesel while Catherine and I headed down to Charleston, South Carolina to visit Emily. What a great sister's weekend! Although we were missing Lindsey and Sarah and it's never quite the same when we're missing some. . . Here's the shakedown:

We decided to rent bikes instead of driving so we could really tour the area. It ended up being such a great idea and allowed us to be as spontaneous as we felt like. We ended up passing a huge farmer's market, several historic streets and pre-Civil War homes. I felt like I was biking through Gone With the Wind. Charleston has done such an incredible job at preserving their history. 

We got to see Rainbow Row-- an area of historic homes-- and hear about the history by carriage. We biked to the pier, the battery park and caught a glimpse of ft. Sumter (where the first shots of the Civil War were fired). 

This is us on an audio tour of one of the homes-- we learned that a lot of wealthy cotton plantation owners would buy summer homes in Charleston to escape the heat (they could rely on the ocean breezes). 

This weekend was also a total glutton fest. Charleston, while famous for it's history, is also the food capitol of the south; chefs come from all over to cook here. I REALLY wanted southern seafood so where better? The verdict? Go shrimp and grits. You won't regret it.  

We dropped off the bikes and headed to the coast where I was hoping to light off fireworks. Not allowed, so we busted out our own explosive moves:

3 comments:

Catherine said...

I love my sisters! Thanks for being so great!

gc.hatch said...

These pictures make me so happy! Thank you for all you girls did for Catherine!

Lindsey said...

holy B freakin S A.

And I thought I felt left out before this post...