Thursday, July 19, 2012

Table Mountain pregnant and carrying L

Brenna and her bro Parker crossing the stream

Remember last year when Liesel became a mountaineer? I decided to repeat carrying her up to Table Mountain. Oringinally I was thinking that B would watch her since it was his day off, but he had too much to do for grad school and I had it in my mind that it was a tradition (I've done it every year). About 2 minutes in I decided that this would be the last time I carry Liesel uphill until babyHays is born. It bordered on death. 
But aside from lumbering up the hill and breathing embarrassingly loud, I was glad I did it. I have never been up there in the peak of wildflower season-- meadow after meadow of wildflowers. I may not be able to grow a garden in a National Park but I can certainly enjoy Mother Nature's. 



we took the canyon route to the summit (7.5 miles) and then the ridge down (3.5). 

the mushroom looking bump at the horizon is Table Mountain and you can see a shadow of the top of the grand in the clouds. 

You can see Liesel in the photo in the left going for some Marmot poo. . . oh man. 
A storm was rolling in by the time we got to the summit-- just rain and clouds (nothing too serious), but it blocked the view of the peaks and put a damper on our summit chill-party. 

Liesel stretching her legs before we head down. 



We were lucky that the bulk of the storm rolled in when we were almost down. I got home that night and about collapsed into bed. Brian told me the night before he thought it was kind of insane to try and haul three heartbeats all the way up there. . . and it probably was. 

5 comments:

Mary Grace said...

hah i love it. hauling three heartbeats- pretty legit. I rebmemeber brian making fun of b-rad and i on the disappointment peak hike for getting 'dusted by a pregnant lady'. He has some great one liners. :) and you are a little crazy for that feat, but in a totally understandable way :)

Allison said...

I love that photo of you pregnant and hiking in the high meadow with toddler on back. Angela and her two girls = one woman show. And L looks like she loves chill time on the summit. Nice.

Catherine said...

Those wildflowers are absolutely AMAZING!!! Looks like such a fun and beautiful outing!

gc.hatch said...

I used to hike Table Rock (Table Mountain) every year during girls camp. I'd love to do it again with you Angela, (only not carrying any children). Those wildflowers are spectacular! Sorry the clouds covered the Grand at the top, but you can still feel how high up you were!

Catherine said...

INCREDIBLE! Wow. I really miss the mountains seeing these pics. The wildflowers are stunning! Not to mention your amazingness hiking with a baby in belly and hand. You go, girl!