Wednesday, September 4, 2013

the Labor Day blitz

Brian had to work all weekend, so I packed up the kids and decided to drive, by myself, 7 hours to St. George. Kind of crazy. But that 7 hour drive only took from 9:30am to 7:00pm. So. . . yeah. It was long. I have a lot of memories in this part of the country and particularly in Brian's grandma's house where I stayed. It just sold last week, so that will be my last time staying there. It's where I first met my would-be in-laws and fell in love with Brian's family. It was nice to stay there one last time. And especially to see my girls so happy with Brian's family. Allison offered to watch the girls while Lindsey, Jacob (Lin's Boyfriend) and I headed out for an adventure. Yes, please

After guilt-tripping convincing Lindsey to come down, I tossed in our canyoneering gear in hopes of securing a permit for a technical slot in Zion. As luck would have it, Keyhole was open. It's short by Zion standards and was perfect for the afternoon flash-flood warning. 
on our way up to the start of the Keyhole
sweet desert vistas. Don't get enough of those where I live!
Jacob and Lindsey wetsuit ready!

Lindsey rappelling and Jacob shivering below

Lindsey and I exiting the canyon.
Zion Canyon overlook 
There were a few classic moments on our Zion outing. 
1) Finding the canyon. Or not finding the canyon, more like it. 
2) My exclamation that I didn't mind being passed by another party since we were just there to enjoy the day at a leisurely pace. To which Jacob exploded in laughter. No, I wasn't trying to be ironic. 
3) My heated exchange with another female canyoneer who insulted my rope length and therefore my expedition leadership skills. I replied: Thanks for the tip-- as icy as possible. 
4) awkward boulder hugs while down-climbing
5) Hiking to the beautiful canyon overlook to eat our lunch. 
6) Butterscotch pudding. I haven't eaten it since high school lunches and I never will again. 
7) Busting out in 2-part harmony with Lindsey
8) Talking about Brian non-stop. Sorry guys. Something about Zion and being with a super-touchy-lovey couple brings it out of me. 

Meanwhile my babies were with Grandma having a great time eating Cheetos, swinging at the park and refusing to take naps. The rest of the weekend passed in excellent conversation, church and great food with Allison and Aunt Chris.   
NAh NAh! 
 Monday morning we packed up and headed to Red Cliffs State Park. If you haven't been here, it's pretty awesome. Lots of water and a seriously short hike. Perfect for kiddos and even better for wearing them out before the long drive home. 
 I love this picture! 
And I love family. 
I believe in family and I was especially reminded of how much I love the people in my life this weekend. Both through their presence and their absence. Families are the most powerful force on earth for good. I feel so grateful to Allison, Lindsey, Brian and Aunt Chris for making this little getaway possible. I loved talking with them and watching their positive influence on my girls. I loved Brian for being so gracious to let me go while he worked overtime for four days. And I loved that both Liesel and Hannah fell asleep for three hours on the drive home. 

Happy Labor Day!


3 comments:

gc.hatch said...

Thank you Angela for posting pictures of your trip this past weekend. It's so great to see this window into your life (and Lindsey's). I'm so happy it turned out a positive experience for everyone. How great that Allison was able to meet you all there and spend time with the girls and you.

Allison said...

Had such a great time with you and the girls. That last photo of you in the muddy pool with Liesel reminds me of how hot the day was and how cold that water was. Fun!

Lindsey said...

So much fun! I love you my sister Angela and Liesel& Hannahbop! So fun to see yall. I miss you already!!