Sunday, September 29, 2013

Arches Nat'l Park


Can you believe that I hadn't taken the girls to Arches in a year and a half? And now that the park is about to be shut down (hello bogus government shutdown), it's a good thing we made it. I had actually already been in town Wed, then went up alone thurs-fri (for photography work)-- but when Liesel woke up Saturday morning to perfect fall weather and asked to go to Moab and play with friends, I had to say, "you know it, girl! Let's get outta here!" 

oK, I'm a dork.

But we did. Leslie was on board and we hauled all of our kiddos out to Arches. I love watching Liesel and Owen interact. She told Brian today that she loves Owen. And she does. And Rylee too. She has officially hit the stage of socialization and she frequently asks to go and play with her friends. I am totally that mom that can have a conversation with another adult for more than 3 mins-- I'll glance over and see L "cooking" in the wood chips with Rylee or pretending rocks are bees with Owen-- and keep right on talking. 

We even did the 1.1m primitive loop at the windows and they walked the whole way. It was insanely crowded, but as soon as we left the "main trail" (we're talking like 50ft off the main trail), there was no one. Leslie and I reminisced about our fall in 2011 when L and O were babes and we hiked all over Moab carrying them. *sigh. 

When I got home, Brian was genuinely confused: "you drove all the way to Arches-- a National park-- to hike 1.1 miles and eat on the slickrock with the kids? Don't you do that, like, every day here?"

Um. I guess I do. But not with friends! :)













7 comments:

gc.hatch said...

It looks like you and Leslie and children had such a great time. It is so sweet to see Liesel playing with Owen and Hannah sitting there with her little buddy. I wonder what Liesel and Owen were looking at under that rock on their bellies in that last picture.

Allison said...

I love photos of a kid eating an apple with all the tiny bite marks. It brings me back to my early momhood.

The Gerharts said...

This looks like so much fun! I love that Liesel has friends now and that she is so imaginative and interactive with them. Impressed that you got them to hike 1.1 miles!!

sNick said...

I would drive 5.5 hours to hike 1.1 miles and eat lunch on slick rock with you guys. How does your schedule look in about a month?

Leslie said...

I'm glad Owen didn't gouge L's eye out with that bee rock! Such great photos.

Lindsey said...

So cute! Love these pics of these four cute kiddos! Did L really ask to go to Moab? Does she miss Aunt lindsey? Cause Aunt L sure does miss HER!!

Catherine said...

I'm glad you got out to enjoy some red rock with friends...looks like a win-win for you and the kiddos!!