Wednesday, January 1, 2014

new day, new year!

Amazing ice rink. B and I are coming back here to skate and play broom hockey. 
How many bread dough treats did I make growing up? At least one a week until I was 5. 
My monarch.
I love New Years. I love the chance to start fresh and think what exciting things will happen in the upcoming year. 2013 was spent entirely at the Needles. . . which is kind of remarkable to me. We started out the year here and Brian and I said goodbye to 2013 last night eating cinnamon rolls, watching Sharktank and looking at his latest River management paper (for his master's degree). I walked outside to grab a screwdriver from the garage and I had to stop the second I shut the door. Dark. So dark. 
I looked up at the blackness and thought about the parties all over the world-- and how I was here in this insanely quiet place with no party, light or person in sight. I liked it. It feels empowering to feel like you own a place-- I know the ins and outs (like the amazing ice rink above!), I have my favorite spots to soak my feet, play in sand, see Datura, run or watch the sunrise. 

I have some big plans and ideas for 2014-- but if there's one thing I've learned growing up, it's that there is really no way to know!



3 comments:

Allison said...

Nice ice rink! Very cute monarch. And, from the post before this one...I missed Brian hanging from his toes, I guess! Ha!

gc.hatch said...

Is Liesel getting taller or is she just looking older from the camera angle? She is looking so grown up these days! So is Hannah! Nice to see the bread dough treat tradition lives on! Looks like her little personality is starting to shine through. I LOVE the table Brian made! It's beautiful! That's my first time really seeing it! That ice skating pond reminds me of a field at the end of the street where I grew up. The fire department used to spray it with water every winter and we would go down there and "try" to skate. That "rink" you all have looks like so much FUN!

Jana said...

That ice rink looks amazing!
I hope that we can get together over the summer when we come out west! Kayla and Liesel are destined to be best friend cousins.