Sunday, March 2, 2014

I'm just a bill, yes, I'm only a bill . . .


and I'm sittin' here on Capital Hill. 
name that tune. 

I had that song running through my head pretty much on repeat while bike-touring our nation's Capital last week. I thought a lot of things while visiting DC:

Catherine Hatch is the country's greatest tour guide. The second I stepped off the bus, she was there with a metro card in hand, a map, had organized a bike for me and didn't bat and eyelash when I suggested we buy a cupcake before dinner. 
My sister has surpassed me in athletic prowess and street smarts. The first I blame on babies, the second on living in Canyonlands for 2 years. 
Abraham Lincoln was our greatest president. I think he would be very disappointed at the trashy plays they show in Ford's Theater. 
Mental illness has plagued people for ages, but has been so little understood. It makes me feel greater compassion for the infamous/criminal. 
My sister is a determined individual. You should have seen her get into the old Post Office tower. They told her it was closed, but she totally got us in.
History is sort of creepy. And reminds me of my inevitable demise. I feel like I'm walking amongst ghosts and there is such a strong presence in so many of the historic sites/monuments. 
Catherine and I make a pretty good match when touring museums. I like to see it, but I want to see it fast. It doesn't make me feel smarter to stare at for 5 mins vs. 30 seconds.
I loved the portrait gallery. Most memorable portraits? John Wesley Powell, Tony Hawke and Joseph Smith
Biking through DC reminded me so much of my mission in Los Angeles! It was so nostalgic. Dodging busses, trying to blast through yellow lights and not get hit, having strangers stare, the feeling of freedom that I don't have to follow all traffic rules and the ability to cram in so much more when you don't have to park and walk!

More of my trip to DC, North Carolina and South Carolina soon. 


6 comments:

gc.hatch said...

Now that was interesting - to climb into you mind and see what you were thinking on the DC tour. And I guess you're right - you don't need to stare at a museum artifact for 5 min. when you could just do it for 30 seconds. I'll have to try that approach the next time I go to DC. That view from the post office tower was totally worth the persistence it required to get permission to do it! What a view!

Brian Hays said...

You actually do have to obey all traffic rules on a bike as well.

Allison said...

Looks like two of the Hatch girls are burning up the capitol. Glad you had fun! It actually looks warm there.

sNick said...

Hahahaha, Brian's comment made me laugh out loud because it's so Brian (I mean that in a good way). I may have you on street smarts, too, but you could have 15 children and I'd never be able to catch up to you physically.

Catherine said...

Girl, you KNOW you wanted to see that Post Office tower!! And wasn't it SO worth it? :) PS: you far surpass me in athletic prowess.

Catherine said...

Brian, I don't get your comment. Did we disobey a traffic rule? I'm confused.