Tuesday, March 4, 2014

the hum.



This morning I was woken up by the babes at 6:04am. I tried to be lazy, but I remembered that Daylight Savings time is Sunday and the mornings will be darker. This was an opportunity for an early morning trail run. Big Spring to Squaw. Very possibly my *favorite* thing about living at the Needles. 7.5m of goodness and it was glorious this morning.

It has felt so springy lately. Liesel and I hunt for the first signs of spring. Little white flowers, milk vetch, longer days, wild rhubarb (? i think) and the birds! There's a book at the library that talks about the world going from brown to green in springtime. In it, they talk about how there is a "greenish sort of hum" -- it is a great way to describe the approach of spring.

I get so excited this time of year. I feel like I need to conquer a mountain, or jump on my bike or at least catch some bugs. I forget how much of a sun-lover, warm weather person I am until the seasons change.

Liesel has been acting up lately. Saying "Sematiya" multiple times a day and telling me not to talk to her. I don't know if she's bored, it's her personality or I'm totally messing up as a mom. Probably a combo. On the flip-side, she has been so helpful. She and Hannah play almost all the time now, but that means she puts Hannah in a headlock and tries to drag her wherever she wants her. Hannah has developed an amazing fake cry where she looks right at me. As soon as I reprimand Liesel, she stops. Hmmm. 

2 comments:

Allison said...

I love Liesel's ever confident stance. School-age kids lose that wonderful swagger.

Catherine said...

I seriously think Hannah is an adult wrapped up in a baby's body. And that book you quoted sounds cool. I need to read more children's books!