Sunday, January 11, 2015

Christmas


 Christmas is a magical time of year-- it just is! The lights, the manger scene, the presents, the treats, the friends, the family, the food, the love, the music. . . etc. I loved our Christmas Eve and Day (and the days that followed) so much. Brian was on furlough, so I really felt like it was a really special treat to have him around so much during the holidays. 

My Grandpa Hatch passed away the week before Christmas. He had been ill and we were all expecting it, but it is still sort of a shock when they leave this life. It made me so happy that I had taken the time out and visited him with the kids twice in the last 6 months. He maintained a sense of humor and quick wit even at 94-years-old. We all drove up to SLC for the funeral. All of my siblings and my parents were there and we got to spend 4 days with them in a VRBO in Bountiful. My kids were the only ones that made it among all the cousins and Brian the only in-law. I honestly don't know if that has ever happened before-- all the adult siblings and no kids. Highlights included:

1) just talking and laughing with everyone was my favorite part of the whole trip
2) Our "epic" hike up Grandeur Peak
3) visiting the lights on temple square-- I had never been there!
4) watching the girls get all that love and attention from everyone
5) being crammed in a car with all of my sisters and the laughing, talking and drama that ensued. :)
6) Seeing my parents. I love them so much. 
7) the funeral when all of the great-grandkids sang. I felt overwhelmed by what two righteous people could do and create. It was a beautiful thing to witness. I really think my grandpa would have been very pleased with the funeral-- it was exactly what he would have wanted. 

We got back on the 23rd and Brian's dad met us in SLC. We stained the fence that Brian had just finished, hiked to Corona Arch, cooked wonderful dinners and prepped for Christmas. The night of Christmas eve we made a feast and had a little program where we sang and followed an idea from the Friend. It turned out great. The girls went to bed excited as ever and Brian and I could hardly sleep ourselves! 

My favorite things about Christmas morning included:
-Hannah eating her entire bag of Christmas candy behind the Christmas tree. She hid and just crammed one piece after another until it was gone. 
-Liesel and that Elsa dress. She wore that thing everywhere and all the time for the next week. 
-watching their faces when they came downstairs to the pile of presents
-the blueberry pancake breakfast I didn't have to make
- the almost white Christmas (it snowed but only stuck for about an hour)

Brian and I decided to tell Liesel the truth about santa from now on. We both decided we just didn't feel right lying to someone so trusting and innocent. 

Frank left at 10am and we spent the rest of the day talking to family and playing. Wonderful Christmas.



1 comment:

Lindsey said...

That third pic though - so adorbs...Sorry about the drama over Grandpa's Funeral- my fault!