Sunday, January 11, 2015

Liesel's 4th Birthday Party

She really wanted to hold her cake, but when I tried to let her, the whole thing almost fell on the floor. So instead we opted for plan B: pretend to hold the cake. 







Up until a few days before her fourth birthday party, Liesel wanted a rainbow cake. At the last minute it changed to a butterfly cake. At this point in my life, I kind of like making the cake. We mix the batter together, they dye it some wacky color (side story: a little over a year ago I was trying to kill time-- like 6 hours of time-- at Walmart in Cortez while waiting for Brian's flight to arrive that never came. I ended up buying a magenta food coloring. Man, that thing has come in handy!!).

In L's case this year, the cake was purple. Magenta mixed with blue. Yummy.

I really like for kids birthdays to be 1) simple. and 2) a complete reflection of them-- not me trying to reflect Pinterest through them. We invited Rylee over the day before to decorate the cake before the party and I pretty much let them do whatever they wanted to it. Hannah and Brynlee helped to, which meant poking holes into it and dumping sprinkles.

Liesel's friends came and we played a few games, ate sugar and opened presents. She seemed to love it all.

2 comments:

The Gerharts said...

Love the cake! So festively decorated and girly! Happy Birthday #4!

Lindsey said...

Good idea on letting them create the cake. Great job Mom!!

Can't wait to meet the next baby Hays :) :) :) :)