Monday, December 14, 2015

AHP- The BIZ

Me shooting a wedding last summer at Dead Horse Point
Shooting the same wedding getting the shot below:

Shooting the same wedding last summer. . .they had biked from Colorado into Moab to get married and while they were on the trail, they met the photographer that was photographing me. Kind of strange. 

shooting a family session at Wilson Arch. Getting the shot below:

Shooting another family session at Wilson Arch-- going for the portrait shot. I'm wearing gum boots because I was bit by a snake the day before at a photo session and I was paranoid.
Going for the portrait shot shown below: 

The family waiting while I set up the shot. Here is the shot below:




I thought Angela Hays Photography warranted a post. I have spent 3-5 evenings a week and most of my free time working on the business this year. It has been very consistent from March-until now (December) and I am definitely looking forward to the winter lull for the next few months or so.

The idea entered my head after Brian and I were married. I really felt like it was something I could do and be good at. Wedding photography is high-stress and working as a journalist in high school and university taught me that I work well under pressure and with deadlines. I like art and people and I felt like I could figure it out. I told this to Brian, who initially blew off the idea because I had absolutely NO photography experience. Finally we got around to purchasing a Nikon D90. I shot three sessions (2 weddings and 1 newborn shoot). All in auto mode. After doing these for a small fee, Brian convinced me that I needed the best equipment out there if for no other reason than to appear professional to clients. We upgraded to a Canon 5D mark II.

I shot a few things for free or super dee duper cheap for people to build a portfolio. When we launched my mediocre website, we weren't really sure what to expect. But people called. And I booked more. And after not too long, I had a business.

What I've learned:

*I like being my own boss. This isn't too surprising. When I was a ranger at ISKY, my boss told me my personality didn't combine with a bureaucratic agency when I created a children's trail guide during my project time. I unknowingly didn't go through the proper chain of command. I like that when I work for myself, the more effectively I use my time, the faster I work and the more efficient I am, the more money I'm making. I like that I can be creative and that the only chain of command is me.

*Our weaknesses can be our strengths. Sometimes my impulsive nature and overconfidence gets on my nerves, so I'm sure it bugs others. But those same characteristics are what got me started in the first place. I remember telling Brian at the Island in the Sky that I could be a wedding photographer. I could figure it out. He kind of laughed it off at the time, but eventually got on board. On my mission, a lot of elders and sisters struggled with the language because you have to mess up a lot before you get better. I didn't care if I messed up-- and spoke it constantly. That meant I sounded like a three-year-old and I embarrassed myself constantly (my comp told me once that I had no shame). But I learned it. And that kind of applies here. I wasn't afraid to fail. And I did. And I do every. single. shoot. I am always messing up. I've never had a perfect shoot (shhh. Don't tell). I'll pose them funny, or I'll shoot too far in the shade or I'll mess up a shot or I'll pick the wrong time of day etc. But I am getting better and I mess up less.

*There's serious truth in "fake it till you make it."

*I have learned a lot. It has taken two years of youtube videos, trial and error and hours and hours to figure out how to use my camera, Lightroom editing software and Photoshop. How to design a logo, the contract and legal documents and design my own usage license, packaging and USB drive. I have spent hours and hours working on my website and blog. I've researched pricing, paid or business guides and spent hours researching poses and developing my own mental list of must-get shots for weddings and families. In the field I have learned where to shoot, what to do with light and which lenses I should use for what settings, light and poses. I have paid a lot of money maintaining my equipment (turns out 1 sand grain costs around $500 to remove-- and I've had that twice!), purchasing packaging and buying lenses and camera bodies.

* I care about these people. It's not just something I say because it sells. I'm totally serious. It feels really intrusive to show up on someones wedding day and tell them what to do, watch them cry as they share their vows, meet all of the people they care most about. Or families-- I meet their kids and often their parents or others who are there. I find out about their jobs and why they love Moab. After connecting with them like this, I really want them to like their photos and it makes me try harder to do my best.

* That Brian is the best right-hand man there is. He is supportive, smart and way more on top of things than I am. He a great accountant. ;)

* That working and being a mom is hard. Moab is expensive and the jobs here don't pay a ton. Just about every mom I know works in some way to try and bring in extra money. But it gets crazy. I may have called Brian at one point in early August or July when I was swamped and feeling insane. He calmed me down and took the next day off so I could work. Sometimes it bugs that so much of my free time goes to editing and working on the business, but I would probably be wasting my time on Netflix anyway.

I guess that's it. Just a few things I want to remember.




3 comments:

Leslie said...

Your business is amazing. I'm so impressed by it. You have been brave, smart, and dedicated creating AHP. It is quite genius actually. And, you are really good! Your photos are beautiful. Your new website looks incredible. I can't believe I know THE Angela Hays!! I know myself and all our friends admire your business. We all say "I wish I could do that!".

Dan~Alyssa said...

I agree! i am always so jealous of your amazing photography skills! I have a D90 and need to get a better lens or something because I love all your shots with the focus/out of focus-ness (i think that has to do with aperture?) Please teach me! lol You are so talented and now that we live in Utah, I may just have to book you one weekend and come down to moab-but only if an adventure is involved too eh? your girls are adorable and you are the cutest mom/wife/adventurer ever! I look up to you so much! You are so many things that I want to be! Lov you cuz and I am so glad your business has taken off!

Catherine said...

I loved this post! Those pics of you doing your business are really exciting. I'm so proud of everything you've done to make this business a success! I am amazed at what a pro you are and how self-motivated you have been to get to where you are! I didn't know you'd dealt with a snake bite and am so impressed you can pull off all of the poses (I'd have to write them on my hand) and just how costly it is to get a grain of sand out of the camera. You're amazing, Ang!