Thursday, August 30, 2012

Collette

This is my mom's mom. My Grandma Emmy Collette. To say I love this woman is an understatement. I admire her, laugh with her, cherish every moment in her home and want to be like her. Liesel's name comes from my grandma's homeland and her middle name is Collette. My sisters and I drove down to Idaho Falls on Sunday morning to go to her ward with her last Sunday and then lunch afterward. I love being in her home. I know where her stashes of candy are, the bobcat on the wall still freaks me out and it feels so real to look at her authentic Nazi flags, arm bands, WWII rifles and third Reich propaganda.  She lived in Austria during WWII and immigrated to Canada shortly after-- all alone. She married my grandpa shortly after and has lived in Idaho Falls ever since. 


My Aunt Karla is no less amazing. She's hilarious, an incredible conversationalist and so much fun. It was a great way to end three days of girl time with people I love and admire so much. I have a lot to live up to. 

5 comments:

Allison said...

You are lucky sisters to have such a wonderful Austrian grandma. And just so you know, I watched you make and stretch that apple strudel dough like your grandma and mom do, and there's no way I would attempt such a feat. This grandma has given you some skills that the rest of us don't have.

The Gerharts said...

Great photos of grandma! Love her and Aunt Karla (and YOU) too!

Catherine said...

Ahh. Beautiful photos and I agree whole-heartedly with your words on Grandma and Aunt Karla. I wish I could have been there to join in the fun times!

gc.hatch said...

Can I tell you how excited I was to see this post and the pictures of you three girls with my wonderful mother and awesome sister!! I was so excited that I printed this post to PDF and mailed a copy to mom and Karla!

gc.hatch said...

Can I tell you how excited I was to see this post and the pictures of you three girls with my wonderful mother and awesome sister!! I was so excited that I printed this post to PDF and mailed a copy to mom and Karla!