Tuesday, October 2, 2012

fall in the blue mountains

 Yesterday the family ventured out into the Abajo mountains in Monticello, UT. They were originally called the Blue Mountains by the settlers and I think that is a more lovely name. Brian and I went there once about three years ago to backcountry ski and since we're pretty close these days, we decided to head up into the mountains for a dose of color and cooler temps. 

 While I was getting things packed up that morning, B was looking for a good hike for us to do. Keep in mind I'm like, two weeks from due. We get into the car and I ask: "so did you find a hike?" "yeah. Abajo Peak." You know, just going to summit the highest peak in the range.  . . but to his credit, it was perfect. There have been very few occasions where he hasn't picked the perfect outing. . . I noticed that even when we were dating. There's actually a road that goes all the way to the top but we hiked the last 1.4 miles in perfectly cool sunny weather and then looked over the Needles and then into the Colorado. It's amazing how much wilderness is out here.  
 It was fun chasing this little one around. Lots of leaves and deer. Trisquits and cheese. Soft dirt and pinecones. All things she loves. 
 I was pretty astounded at the color. It was so beautiful. I think fall is my favorite time of year. I love the food: soups, pumpkin, spice. I love that I'm not trying to shed my clothes any chance I get (maybe that's a pregnancy thing?) and I love the crisp mornings, cool evenings and beautiful days. And the yellow leaves and white aspen trunks. 

The only thing I'm missing this fall is a climbing trip to Indian Creek. Ironically we live IN Indian Creek but being pregnant kinda puts a damper on the whole wearing a harness and hauling yourself up a crack thing. . . soon enough though we'll be back at the crag. We might need to enlist a few more babysitters/belayers this time though . .  .

5 comments:

Allison said...

Beautiful! Looks like the height of the colors. And pictures of Liesel always make me happy.

gc.hatch said...

Wow, you're either really learning to use that camera, or you've got some awesome scenery or maybe it's BOTH?! That picture of Liesel on the log is sooo cute!!

Lindsey said...

ohmygosh

no words

too cute to express

can october 18 come soon enough????

The Gerharts said...

Wow, wow, wow! Between you and Lindsey's posts, I am about to hop in a car and come visit one of you (it's still green here). I LoVE the pic of L on a stump. So classic in B&W and such a cute toddler pose. What a fun outing and thanks for sharing your wonderful leaf photos!

Catherine said...

These photos are absolutamente the most beautiful fall photos ever. Your camera skills are off the hook!