Wednesday, May 8, 2013

chics love chicks



cutest picture of all time: Liesel rubbing the little chicks fluff on her cheeks. Eyes closed and everything. awww.



so last week (or maybe it was the week before? they all blend together these days) I was up in town and drove by Farm & City. And I beheld a vision. My mind opened up and there was Liesel playing in our backyard, a full-scale garden in reused containers was on the rock wall (lush and productive I might add) and there were chickens pecking the ground and a small gray bunny bouncing around. She was laughing. And I was happy. And then Brian came out and he was smiling. And Hannah was smiling. So you get it. Lot's of smiling.

I jerked the car into the gravel parking lot. I was the only one so I parked right in front of the door, unbuckled the kids for the umpteeth time that day and walked into the store. No one was there so we followed the sound of peeping and came across about a dozen chicks scurrying around a wire coop. I wandered around trying to find the owner-- Liesel wouldn't budge. She was busy forming a lasting connection with her fluffy friends.

I decided we were getting the chicks. I got L outside and into the car only with the promise of the park and then bringing the chicks home to live with us. So one hour and $28 later we were out the door with our chicks, water feeder, lightbulb, heat lamp, feeder, grain and two peeping chicks in a box.

My vision of our future lounging in our backyard with our chicas and chicks clouded my vision of reality and I not only convinced myself that this would be awesome, but that the landlord would actually welcome the idea.

Fail.

Five days later, the chicks were back at Farm & City.

But.

Those five days were heaven at the Needles for Liesel. Every moment she was holding, carrying, talking to, squeezing, petting and loving those chicks. She named them Bope, Patchy, Pa and many other unintelligible names beginning with P. She wouldn't take naps. She wouldn't come inside. And the timing during the move turned out to be a huge blessing. She was occupied almost the entire day while we worked.

Hannah showed her love in other ways. By trying to pull off a wing and then a leg in her little vice grip while the chick peeped (beeped as Liesel would say) frantically.

Maybe one day? 

3 comments:

Allison said...

I'd say the 5 days of kid bliss was worth it. Man, the NPS does put the kibash on many aspects of a person's life, doesn't it?

gc.hatch said...

What a sweet post! It does my heart good to see Liesel so happy with those little chickies! How ADORABLE! Someday. . . . .

Catherine said...

This made me laugh out loud when I pictured Hannah trying to pull out the feathers. Classic. I wish your landlord wasn't so LAME. Can you give her access to your blog so she can see heaven on earth?