Sunday, May 19, 2013

SLC, the girls and we went on a date.

making cookies when I shouldn't be making cookies/ Liesel and her friends in their fancy dresses jumping on my bed.

Last weekend we had organized for multiple days a furniture acquisition expedition to SLC. I had called over 20 people, had maps ready, phone numbers, Uhaul trailer and organized housing for Brian overnight with my sister Lindsey. In doing this I realized two things:
1) People cannot fathom not having cell phone coverage. Why can't I just text you? I don't have cell phone coverage. How are you calling me? A land line. What? A LAND line. It means I have to answer from my house. 
2) People cannot fathom not having a data phone (and thereby having a GPS). I will text you my address when you get up here. I don't have a data phone, so I'm printing out maps ahead of time. . . Ohhhhhhh. Sorry.  It's okay. I've come to terms with it. (?!)

Brian was in the backcountry. The plan was that he would hike out that afternoon, pack and leave that evening alone to get everything and blitz back the next day. Well, I woke up that morning and starting packing my bag. Liesel's bag. Hannah's bag. Bedding. Pack-n-plays, food, bibs and a potty. There was no way I was staying down here. So we went! And the drive was hilarious. Liesel didn't sleep until 10:30pm. We rolled into Lindsey's house at 11pm. 
we took the kids to Wheeler farm. 
 then the aquarium. 
we took them to the pool at the apartment complex

 and best of all they got to see Aunt Lindsey!! And so did I. Man. That was the best. It was so great having her company for the weekend. 

on the lawn outside the church on Mother's Day
Meanwhile Brian was driving around all of SLC and not buying any of the furniture. So that evening we decided to leave the kids with Lindsey and her new BF while we had a date at Ikea. Did you hear that? I said a date. By ourselves. At 8:20pm we arrived at IKEA and proceeded to have a blast tossing everything we needed into the cart in 40 minutes. Then Target. Then bed. 
 Then the drive back home again the next day.  Into the desert. And into the chaos:





5 comments:

gc.hatch said...

How fun that I got to see your trip to SLC! That last picture of the girls is so CUTE! and the one of Lindsey holding them and the one of your holding them and the one of Hannah by herself! The easel and little green chair look so INVITING for Liesel to come develop her artistic talents! What a cute idea to use an ice cube tray for the paints.

Mary Grace said...

ahhh baby chacos! she is big enough to have a pair?! I LOVE IT! and i wish i lived down there NOW because your pictures make me want to hang out with you guys so bad! can we just get together NOW and have a dutch oven cook out among the red rock? SIGH.

Jerry said...

Oh my goodness, can the 2nd week of June just come! I can't wait to see you guys! I'm so glad you all got to steal away to SLC last weekend and get some new furniture - even if the drive was rough. Nothing like a new town and family to brighten your life. We are so excited to see you guys in a couple of weeks!!

The Gerharts said...

Love your trip! So fun!

BTW cute shirt alert, ang. . . the blue one with yellow layer underneath. Where'd you get it?

Catherine said...

I love these bright photos! The kids look like they're in heaven. Hannah looks like a cabbage patch kid! (in a good way!) AND, I'm so glad you got furniture after that ordeal. Consider yourself lucky to note have all of that techno-junk. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. :)