Sunday, April 12, 2015

Grass is always greener

front of the house with the new sod! 
Backyard with sod & 1/2 finished chicken coop
Some of the helpers

This morning right after bfast for the girls and then bfast for Felicity, people started rolling in to help with sod. 1hr and 6 minutes later, it was in. I love looking out my window. I love driving up to the house. The whole feel is different. Of course it isn't without a few steps backward. Brian realized he didn't compact the dirt above the sprinklers enough and they are sinking in. He'll have to spend all day Monday lifting up the sod and packing the dirt better. Allison was here for the last three days, and that was great. She made sure all of the help got their doughnuts! And of course Liesel and Hannah too. I found them sampling several and pouring cup after cup of chocolate milk (I didn't know that Liesel could pour from a gallon jug so easily). Feel grateful for so much help! 

Met up with Heidi today. Went to Kashs bday party and then hiked up Negro Bill. It was nice to get back to our regular routine again. 

Hannah right after slipping. Lots of tears in this stage of life, but these kids are seriously excellent hikers. Hannah hiked two miles the other day and Liesel four miles. With minimal coaxing from either of them. They genuinely seemed to enjoy it. Hannah got super tired, but would not get into the backpack because Lindsey was carrying it and not mommy. Finally after a nursing break and sand castle building, she decided she was ready to ride in the pack and fell asleep after 5 mins. When she woke up she said, "Mommy I feel much bedder now after my good nap." Liesel can go for a while these days. She easily could have made it to the end of the 5 miles, but we had to turn around. She was very disappointed, so now I think I will take her with me next week and see if we can make it to the end. If she starts to get tired, I start a story and that will entertain her for forever. She loves stories. It takes some serious creativity and sometimes that's hard to come up with on the fly. I try to teach little lessons in them about not complaining, saying prayers, listening to parents etc. 

It seems like LIesel needs some extra love lately and she has been trying my patience constantly. It is shocking when she actually listens to something I say and does it. She is extremely emotional. Yesterday within 30 minutes she threw two giant fits-- crying, screaming etc. One because we weren't going to the end of the trail and she wanted to, the other because Rylee was a faster runner than her. I know I need to be kinder and more loving. That's my goal this week. 

Felicity is spitting up 1/2 of her feeding! So it seems. Projectile spit up and I've had to change my clothes a few times in the middle of the night. Other than that, she is thriving and doing well. I can't wait to see her smiles soon!! She still looks so much like Liesel did. 



7 comments:

The Gerharts said...

Awesome that your girls are good hikers! Fits come with the territory of four year olds, for me at least! I'd like to hear a story, Ang =) Great idea to teach little lessons in them. You are a great mom! Can't wait to see Felicity's smiles either!

The Gerharts said...

BTW, sod looks great! I love your view from the back yard...

Lindsey said...

Sod looks great!!!!

Emily said...

The yard looks great, Ang! As beautiful as the red rocks are, there's something nice about a bit of green. I'm glad to see you had some help to lay the sod and that you are able to get out and enjoy the beauties of your home again!

Allison said...

Your yard is really a nice size, and so nice with no backyard neighbors.

gc.hatch said...

Wow!! The grass is AMAZING!

Jana said...

Good to know things are back to normal for you, Ang! I miss Moab, we didn't stay long enough when we visited you guys. And way to go being the first in the family to have chickens. Pretty appropriate, considering we are all Hatches.

(this is Kevin, not Jana - for some reason kchatch@gmail is blocked from your blog)