Sunday, May 3, 2015

Family Matters.


Busy busy busy.

If you could see our house right now, I would be embarrassed. The piles of junk in all corners seem to be piling faster than I can handle. The kitchen is clean. And if that's clean, my sanity is restored, but there's nothing like stepping on a babydoll with a burst of electronic giggle at 3am on my way to a fussing 6-week-old. But it will get clean. 

Friday night Brian was called out on a SAR until 3am. I didn't go to be until late and of course Hannah was up at 5:45am. Celebrating the longer days, the light filtering through and the birds chirping, I suppose! I was worried about Brian waking up, so I lied on her bed while she and Liesel played all around and on top of me. I was too tired to get up and play pretend pre-7am, though. I finally got everyone ready and in church clothes (including me) by 8am.

Then we hit up McDonalds so could keep sleeping. But of course I didn't take into account that it was Saturday. And that I live in a very popular tourist town. There were about 80 bikers in matching "rough riders" leather vests ordering. When I finally made my way to the front, the girl was totally frazzled and when I got my food and mentioned there were things missing and things I didn't order (I said it super nice!!) she broke down and started to cry right there. I really wanted to give her a hug. And a tip. And a card. 

We headed to a baptism. It felt good to be there. I love baptisms. There really is an amazing spirit there as these kids show their faith and follow Christ. 

I came home and got ready for a wedding I was shooting in the Devil's Garden area in Arches. It is hard for me to leave Felicity and I feel anxious every time. Although I admit, I love to drive in complete silence. But I totally fell asleep for a second at the wheel. Guess that complete silence is a bad idea. 

The wedding was good. There are usually a few things that go wrong for the Bride on their big day and I always feel bad. It makes me want to do my best at the photos. It went over the scheduled time, as it often does. Felicity was fine when I got home, but she does nurse a little funny after a bottle for a few feedings. She really is a sweetie. She's started to make the funniest noises when she wants something-- not a full cry, just a mad noise. It's really cute. 

Brian suggested date night when he got home. We put the kids down, I got a 12-year-old (her first baby-sitting job- yikes!) and we headed out to run/hike up a route on river road. Then we went to the Diner and split a banana split. I have always loved being with Brian and playing outside. It's something we've always done together and it really rejuvenates me. It's so nice to move quickly and talk about our life. 

This was a good thing, because it helped me get through church today. I was on the verge of tears for the last 2 hours. Hannah is refusing to go to nursery and Liesel lies on the floor and won't sing. I said something rude a few weeks ago to a friend and didn't realize it until she talked to me about it today. I have a counselor vacancy and sharing time vacancies because of it and 3 of the 4 teachers were gone today. Hannah is jealous of Felicity's mommy time and frequently scratches or hits her face/head when she's sleeping my arms at church. I was really glad when it was over. They have a tradition of having the youth take over primary on Mother's Day. I am happy about the idea and want to give the teachers a break-- but it was actually more work for me than just leaving everything the same. I had to copy all the lessons, write up all the children in each class and next week I will still need to conduct, set up, and show all of the youth where to go and who to teach. It will be chaos, but I decided that I just don't care. It's one Sunday. And if I can get into RS for just 30 minutes, it will be great. As much as I love primary, I love talking to the other sisters and miss that about RS. 

Went to the Olsen's tonight for desert and the kids played like crazy on the trampoline. I always love getting together with friends. 

A few weeks ago on river road


2 comments:

The Gerharts said...

I love your honest writing! You say it like it is, not just for you, but for me, and for all the other moms out there who live and feel the same way! Love the details of your life! Thanks for sharing. Your girls are beautiful! Love your attitude of loving life no mater what it brings, and looking for the good on hard days. Love you!

Allison said...

Thank you so much for sharing about hectic times and emotional times. Somehow, it made my hectic emotional week feel better being in the same (but stage-of-life different) club as dear Angela! Slice of life writing is what it's all about! You're awesome.