Friday, June 15, 2012

paintbrush canyon



I love this one. The M&M perched on the edge of her mouth. . .haha!


I've had a lot of friends/relatives ask me lately what I recommend buying when you have kids and still want to get outside . . .  well, I only have one (things will probably be different in a few months), but I've decided to share a little bit of what I've learned the past 18 months. 

best kid-friendly hiking purchases we've made:
Camelback-- I used to despise Camelbacks. I always seemed to crush the nozzel; sitting on it, stepping on it, loading it wrong in the car etc. In cold weather the hose would freeze and it was worthless. Now, I L.O.V.E it. When L falls asleep in my pack, I don't need to set her down and fish around for a water bottle with a dry throat. I drink consistently all day long and the best part is, she learned to use it too at 9 months. And with a pack as monstrous as the one I carry, it's impossible for me to sit/stand on the hose. 

Steri-pen-- uses ultraviolet light to sterilize water and weighs only a few ounces. This wouldn't really work in Southern Utah where there are tons of floaties or silt in the water. But in the Tetons, the water runs clear and gunk-free. I rarely need to carry more than 32oz and since I'm always hauling at least 27lbs, I love saving however possible. 

Dueter Kid Comfort II*-- Brian and I went through dozens of kids backpacks trying to find the perfect one. We tried LittleLife, Phil&Teds, Kelty and they were all junk. Honestly. This one has enough storage without going crazy, is comfortable for baby and parent and has all the bells and whistles (sun shade, wind shield, rain cover). Downside: the pack is heavy and you have to buy the extras separately. Osprey just came out with a kid backpack that looks a lot like the Dueter but possibly lighter. I'd check it out. 

Ergo Kid Carrier*-- This is kind of like the Baby Bjorn's except it can be worn front or back and you could carry a 4-yr-old in it. A front carrier is essential for little babies if you want to get out (until they can sit up well in a carrier which is usually around 6 months).  I have really fallen in love with this thing. It is so much lighter to carry (weighs a few pounds) and is really durable. I also love that you can snap a cover over their head when they fall asleep. The bummer about this is, it's really only good for less than 5miles. There is (very) minimal storage (I have to carry my water bottle) and she is right up next to your body so it gets nice and sweaty (in Brian's case, you could wring out her clothes). 

Patagonia puffy-- this is (almost) the sole clothing item we've had to buy for Liesel so far. It was $50. Which is crazy that we paid that much (full price is like $80)-- but it has lasted for over a year now. The puffy bands can compress when she was little and she won't grow out of it until probably this fall. That is 18months of use. It weighs as much as a piece of paper and keeps her super warm. In the Tetons where the weather is a little unpredictable the higher you go, I almost always throw it in. The only downside is that she's wearing the same jacket in 50% of the photos we've taken since it has fit her for so long and since we tried to go with a gender-neutral color everyone called her a boy until her hair grew longer.

disposable diapers-- I don't mess with cloth on the trial. Too heavy. I think if we were going out for more than an overnight, I might consider bringing 3 inserts and 2 diapers (diapers dry faster than inserts) if it was sunny and they would dry out after washing. 

other tips:
--get a REALLY wide brimmed hat for sun protection and make sure it has a chin strap or they'll probably lose it. 
--In cold weather I would flip one of my puffy coats upside down and put her legs in the arms and pull it up over her body then I'd tie the arms (where her feet ended) in a knot to avoid extra breeze. I'd do this with my rain jacket also if there was a cold breeze or rain. 
--find other people who love to hike too! Hiking with my friends is more fun than hiking alone. 

If anybody has anything else they use and think is awesome leave a comment 


5 comments:

Katie said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the tips! You gave me answers to some of the things that have stumped me (like keeping little legs warm). I can second the recommendation for the Dueter pack and Ergo baby carrier. They were some of the best kid purchases we made!

Catherine said...

Those pics are gorgeous! I can't believe how BIG L looks in them! Miss you tons!

Mary Grace said...

i am bookmarking this page!!! love the tips- we have already looked at the osprey pack- i think thats what we will go with. we LOVE the steri pen too! and will have to check out the ergo carrier. I like getting gear reviews from people i really trust :) and you know, want to be like. haha. and wow you have quite the little prego belly- i love it!!! i am starting to get that way, no worries :) perhaps one of these days i will get some pictures taken. have fun in those tetons :)

The Gerharts said...

Gorgeous pictures! What a beautiful canyon.

gc.hatch said...

I always wondered what paintbrush canyon looked like. I think Grandpa Collette took the scouts on a 50 mile hike in there once. Your tips for baby products are great! I like to try that water purifier.